CCW Reading and controlling a powerflex 700

crees

Hi Group.

We recently added a 20 COM E Module to our powerflex 700 and assigned IP parameters to it. It can pinged and verify the connectivity. We noticed the Function block utility does not have the powerflex 700 listed as one of its options and therefore is unable to be tied into our CCW logic. I do see that we have connectivity but the FBerror field is true and the drive type is unkown (which I would expect if its not fully supported under the AB provided Function Block). Question is, has anyone been able to read from and control a 700 VFD from a micro800 series PLC using CCW ? If so can you provide details on how you are doing it? We have control over the newer model powerflex drives just this older so far is an issue.

We are using the micro850 with the latest version of CCW.

Last edited:
Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

In general, PowerFlex 70/700 and 750 series drives are meant to be controlled by ControlLogix and CompactLogix controllers over EtherNet/IP using fast cyclic data exchange.

Micro 850 controllers use a slower messaging method and those special-purpose Function Blocks, which are meant for the lower-end "component" VFDs.

You mentioned "We have control over the newer model powerflex drives just this older so far is an issue."

When you say "newer model", do you mean PowerFlex 520 series ?

There is a PowerFlex 70 and Micro 850 example in the RA Sample Code website; search on the phrase "Connecting Micro850 PF70" or the ID number 91665.

The PowerFlex 70 and 700 are most similar to one another. I don't use Micro 800 controllers so unfortunately I can't be of more help.

for anyone else looking for info on what VFD's are easily supported in CCW Here is the header info on the function block.

[UDFB Name] :RA_PFx_ENET_STS_CMD (v10)
[Catagory] :Communication
[Description] :Status & Control of a PF75x, PF52x or PF4x drive over Ethernet using Explicit Messaging (v7)
[Author] :Rockwell Automation
[Created using CCW version] :10.00
[FeedBack] :[email protected]
[Revison History] :2014-October - Original Release for Version 7
:2018-February - Fixed issue where the second command might not get transmitted if the second command
: change is initiated while the first command change is still in transmission.
[Notes] :Required Drive Start Source and Speed Reference parameter settings for Ethernet
for PF755, set P545=877 for embedded Ethernet port.
for PF75x with 20-750-ENETR, set P545=874.
for PF525, set P046=5 and P047=15 for embedded Ethernet port.
for PF52x with 25-COMM-E2P, set P046=4 and P047=4.
for PF4M with 20-COMM-E, set P106=5 and P108=5.
for PF4/40/40P/400 with 20-COMM-E, set P036=5 and P038=5.

Last edited:
That's fantastic information, thank you.

Of course that list omits the PowerFlex 70 and 700, though it includes the 755 and 753.

The listing of the "20-COMM-E" for use with the PowerFlex 40 and 4 and 4M is incorrect; that interface is a "22-COMM-E".

Do you know what version of firmware is in the PowerFlex 700 drive ? The 700 had a bunch of variants and at some point switched from 16-bit to 32-bit references, which will matter when you're sending data to emulated data tables that are taking the place of I/O assemblies.

Do you know what version of firmware is in the PowerFlex 700 drive ? The 700 had a bunch of variants and at some point switched from 16-bit to 32-bit references, which will matter when you're sending data to emulated data tables that are taking the place of I/O assemblies.

Very valid question! Yes looking for more info on the 700 came up with scores of options. This one seems to be an older model of the series and could be the 16-bit variant.

After looking at the function block on the P70 we decided that we will leave the setup as is and control it with DIO and pull our AMPs another way.