RSLogix 5000 Deleting a Module Defined data type

TMB

Hello Forum,

I'm new to the AB family of controllers and software. Most of my experience has been with Mitsubishi FX series controllers. I've done some programming with the SLC and RSLogix 500 but new to the RSLogix 5000. So if I could get a little nudge in the right direction, it would REALLY be appreciated. I've read through some of the posts and there is a lot of knowledge on this site. Hopefully somebody can shed some light.

Is it possible to remove duplicate information from the Module Defined data types? I'm currently using a CompactLogix L16.

oXLEykJ5n

Thanks,
Tom

Welcome to the Forum Tom!

When you are stating "duplicate information from the Module Defined data types" are you referring to the Module Defined data types Alias Tags?
If the answer is affirmative, one will ask you another question:

Why would you remove End_of_Travel_LS and use the originating R160:I.Data[1].7?

Obviously they are the same thing, however, doesn't make more sense understanding and working with an application when using the Alias tag?
You cannot remove the Hardware defined tags; only the Aliases could be disposed of, presuming you will replace each Alias occurrence with its originating, hardware tag; and again: Why would you?
Alias Tags are one of the best features of the Logix controllers family since they are introducing process explicit information within the programming code.

dmargineau

Thanks for the reply. This attachment was to be on the first post. I am configuring a PF 525, when selecting the input or output tag's data type, I've got 2 of each to choose from. I don't think this is correct and one needs to be deleted. Right? Or am I way off base?

Module_Defined_Data_Type.png

First of all, you don't need to delete any of the profiles or data types. Just because they are defined in the development environment doesn't mean you need to use them. You wouldn't want to delete the COUNTER data type just because you don't have any counters in your program, would you?

Additionally, they look to me like two different profiles. I would need to do some digging to find the difference but the name is not exactly identical. The development environment will select the correct data type based on the device you select when you put it in the I/O tree. You won't have to actively decide what to use.

Keith

Edit: Now I remember. One profile is if you are using it in positioning mode (525P) and the other is if you are using it in velocity mode (525V). You make that selection in the properties window when you add the drive.

Last edited:
Yes, as Keith pointed out, there is or was a mix of Modes.

At the moment or at some point during development one or more PowerFlex 525 drives were set away from the default Velocity Mode to Positioning Mode. When you add the drives and do not change the default Mode then the Module Defined Data Types will be defined as "525V" for Velocity. If you change Mode or add another drive and change from the default to Positioning Mode, then the "525P" Module Defined Data Type is added.

If you currently only use one of the two Modes for all the drives present in the I/O Configuration, then you should be able to clean up the Module Defined folder, if you so wish, but I also agree that it is not really necessary.

If you right-click each of the Module Defined Data types for the drives you will see "Delete" in the menu. Any Data Type for a Mode NOT currently set to should be available to delete. Any Data Type for a Mode that IS currently set should not be available to delete. If none are available to delete then both Modes are in use and those Data Types are required for the current I/O Configuration i.e. at least one drive is set for V and at least one drive is set for P.

Attached is a screenshot of what we are talking about in case you're not familiar. In my example, the top four Digital I/O and bottom two Embedded Ethernet and the Stratix Switch cannot be deleted as they are defined in the I/O Configuration. Everything else in between is available for deletion.

Regards,
George

PF525_Pos_v_Vel.png

Thank you very much. I am my own worst enemy, I thought they were both the same data types. I added both data types, velocity and positioning for 2 PF 525 but it appeared to me that they were the same...and I was wrong. This is quite the learning curve. I won't forget this anytime soon. Humility, it's a good thing ....right?

Thanks again!