Plc output

Ker25

Is it ok to jumper two plc output to the same relay? Basically, i would like to turn on the same relay from both outputs. However, only one of the outputs will be on at a given time. I am using a Micrologix 1000 plc. I wasnt sure if it is possible to damage the plc by wiring two outputs together. Thanks!!

Please read your post and think about what you want. You can add more than 1 rung of code in your program to control the said output.

For the possibilty that Ker25 does not have any software packages and is a Tech, Yes you can as long as you have the same supply {Voltage}
and polarity.

If the outputs are 24VDC, I would isolate the two signals from each other with a pair of diodes i.e. a hardwired 'OR' circuit.

If the outputs are 'relay contact' style, then there is no problem jumpering the two outputs together.

I'm not sure if I would jumper to AC outputs together......

In my opinion of course!

Is it ok to jumper two plc output to the same relay?
No! Not necessary and complete useless. As Mike said, you can do all that you need in your program, it is never necessary to do as you suggest.

& if said person does not have software nor capablilty to re-program????????????????????????????

I personally read from his mail that he was not that familar with plc'S Hence the rather basic query. If that the case then it is possible. If thats not the case then I wonder why?

Mylo

I respect your point and know why you make it but especially if he's new to PLC you really don't want to send him off starting bad habits. I've only been around PLCs for about 6 years but I have never seen the need for the type of rememdy you describe. Not having the needed tools to do the job suggest that he get those needed tools. Next someone will bring up the "double coils" issue and I can't see a necessity for that either.
I think he came here for help and it would be best for us to give him the "rightest" answer possible. If that doesn't work for his situation, then HE has a decision to make; follow the advice he asked for and received, or ignore it.
I'm not trying to badger you! Your solution will work but is it what you want to tell anyone? I'd hate to be the one who had to go work on a machine or process where that kind of situation was prevalent.

I would recommened using the outputs to energize small relays and then use the hardwire relays to pick up your relay. (that sounds redundant). Nonetheless, if you dont theres a possibility that ten years from now someone may see a voltage on an output card terminal even though the output is not on. At that point,
they may swap the card only to find the same problem.
This is very possible if your cabinet wiring looks like spaghetti.

Also theres a possibility that someone may be tinkering with a wire that they believe is not "hot" since the output is not on and/ or thinking its disconnected from the output card, they may get shocked or short or ground out the wire which can be bad.

Hi Rube,

You are absolutly correct in everything that you say, & I accept your points completely.

However,,,,,,,

Wait for it......

THe question asked in its essence was simple and concise, Is it possible and will it cause damage ? . That query I answered.

Jezz asked can you not mod software. No responce from Ker25.

Randylud said things in a manner I received as slightly objective.

I responded to such.

FYI once apon a time I was asked while on site at 12 o'clock at night been there for 18hrs the morning before the end customer visit, "Can you make a Light Beacon come on every time the Main actuation took place to illustrate that the machine was in a different state, i did without the possesion of my programming cables & laptop, how? by the very way discussed.........

Sorry, sometimes I just don't know when to stop..........

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ker25

Settle this question for all of us: Do you have the ability to program or change the program in this PLC? If yes, the answer to your problem is corrected by logic, not by adding other components to (1)fail or (2)need diagnosing at a later date.
If no, then take your pick from the posts by Mylo or bulletin_blues.
Both will work.

Mylo, I meant no disrespect. I've read enough of your posts to know you know what you're talking about. I, too, have done what you described in the essence of a patch that I later corrected.

Last edited:
Since we are totally unaware of the true nature of Ker25's overall application, I will bar all further speculation and just answer the question.

Yes you can use two speerate outputs to power one single relay coil, so long as all components share the same power supply.

Now I have a question: Why do you want to do this?

Mike.