AB analog card 1756-IF16 redundant wiring

delforum

Hello PLCTalk Friends,

I am interested in connecting one 2-wire loop powered 4-20mA transmitter to two analog input cards. In my program, I will compare the two channels on the different analog input cards to see if one of the cards is receiving a bad signal.

Will using two 1756-IF16 allow me to use all 16 channels for 16 loop powered transmitters this purpose?

My thoughts,
Connect Transmitter + to 24V
Connect Transmitter - to the Card1 Channel IN-0
Connect the Card1 I-RTN-0 to Card2 Channel IN-0
Connect the Card2 I-RTN-0 to RTN
Connect the RTN to 0V

Thank you for your help,
Del

question for you, what is a 4-20 ma loop?
what you propose is adding an additional resistor in the loop and will make your results invalid.

you should loop for a 4-20ma signal splitter.
if I am wrong on this, someone please correct me.
james