Labeling terminals on Beckhoff/Wago slice I/O

kolyur

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I'm using Beckhoff EL-series I/O terminals but this question also pertains to the similar product from Wago. One of these brands is also private labeled for Automation Direct I believe.

How do you handle labeling of the individual terminals on these modules? I don't know about Wago, but for some bizarre reason Beckhoff does not include the little snap-in terminal markers with their modules even though virtually all of the product photos show them. I've been buying the sheets of preprinted plastic markers from Beckhoff for the modules we use, which are fairly cheap but it's still quite laborious to trim and install them on a large I/O rack. It's further complicated by the fact that for certain modules Beckhoff either doesn't provide a marking suggestion at all or the one they do provide doesn't make sense. I've considered the alternative of just not using the markers at all and relying on the microscopic terminal numbers that are printed on the module, but that would make it considerably more difficult to identify specific I/O connections during troubleshooting. I'd like to settle on a standard practice, as this affects how I will identify the individual terminals on electrical schematics. Just wondering what others are doing with these modules?