(OT) .EXE file to run in XP

ason

Hey i got a prob.
We are investigating to upgrade a computer that run windows NT4
and going upgrade to Windows XP
It have Intouch on it and a little apps that is made in borland delphi 4 or 5 i think.
I have copy the exe file to a XP machine and cant run it.
i wonder if there is anyway to check what is missing to make it run,
The program is to send parameters to Sinumerik 840D from the intouch application over TCP/IP (I think) or it writes to a file that is in a windows share

i can email the file if anyone wanna give it a chance 🍻 ,

Thanks,

Search the Microsoft website for a programme called 'depends'. It will check to see what is missing for you in the way of dlls etc.

Just copying an executable file usually isn't enough. These days there are accompanying .dll files and registry changes that typically get added when installing a software package.

You may need to go through the install procedure to get it to work propely.

OG

so true, in fact it is rare these days...

moving application by hand can be a pain even if operating system is the same. in your case you may see few surprises. for example you need to move all dependencies (if any) and put them in their respective folders (keep same folder names to be safe), copy any settings, registry entry etc. then register any DLL that was manually copied over. for example click on start > run > and type cmd, then type:
Regsvr32 "C:\Windows\System32\example.dll"
note quotation marks around DLL and it's path. they may not be needed if complete name matched 8.3 naming convention but it doesn't hurt to have it anyway. common dependancies will be any runtime files. on the other hand you may be lucky, as far as i remember delphi also allows compiling all dependencies into EXE (optional, it makes target bigger but saves someone in your position from frustration and version conflicts).

If all else fails you can do a P->V (physical to virtual) image and run the NT app (and the rest of the NT setup) on a virtual machine on modern hardware.

Sincom

Found out that it´s a Siemens application called Sincom
Need more information about Sincom, hard to find at siemens.com