LED lights glowing

Jcooli09

Hello.

I have some controls installed on the outside of my facility for driver to use after hours. There's a push button to turn on a dust collector, and indicator light to show it's on, and a strobe which lights up when the silos are full.

The boxes got water in them and I'm replacing the buttons and lights. I went with LED indicators so we don't have to worry about changing bulbs, but they glow a little bit even with the output low.

Can I install a resistor across the terminals to eliminate the glow, and if so, what value should I use?

I'm running a PLC 5.

Last edited:
When I can't remember the correct resistor, or don't have one, I wire the coil of a small relay across the indicator. I always have sockets and relays of all voltages with me.

The running joke at one of the facilities I work with is that you need a Resistor for every AB issue. The same week we had an issue with a PowerfElx 525 behving strangely during a stop; AB said we need a resistor for braking. At the end of the week we had glowing lights on a new installation, AB said we need resistors. Long story short, sell cheap equipment, charge 1000x the price for each resistor is the business model!

Wait a minute you say the buttons and lights are at 120VAC and the box is outside and leaks so they get wet.
Stop what you are doing right now
You can not have water anywhere near a 120V push button or light
you must change everything over to a 4X rated box and use 24V on the buttons and lights.
have a look at Banner Touch LEDS completely sealed and designed to work in wet environments.
if don't fix the bigger problem somebody could get killed.
Water and electricity normally don't mix ( There are a few exceptions ) and never use 120V controls in a wet environment.
Always put safety first

The running joke at one of the facilities I work with is that you need a Resistor for every AB issue. The same week we had an issue with a PowerfElx 525 behving strangely during a stop; AB said we need a resistor for braking. At the end of the week we had glowing lights on a new installation, AB said we need resistors. Long story short, sell cheap equipment, charge 1000x the price for each resistor is the business model!

Has NOTHING to do with cheap equipment. Its called "leakage current". Look it up.

if you are getting water inside the 120 volt panel, stop and find out where the water is coming from.
we have 120 volt panels getting water in them at times and trace it back to the conduits into the panels. the lb cover gaskets rot and we have to replace them.

the panel must be rated 4/4x for outdoor use / direct water.
the pushbuttons / lights / switches must also be rated that.

water in a control panel is a bad accident waiting to happen.

james

+1 on what GaryS and James Mcquade said! Also, it is good practice to make conduit entries to boxes in wet locations from the bottom. We have a lot of conduit in wet locations, and had to make sure that the conduit was routed properly, with low point drains and the proper fittings. Threaded conduit joints will leak, and LB cover gaskets (you did put gaskets in, didn't you?) will eventually crack and leak. Do yourself and others a favor by going to 24VDC controls and indicating lights if possible.

You can also purchase pilot lights in 24-120volts AC / DC that have the resistor built in and do not glow from any leakage current. That's the best solution IMHO for any future purchases or projects.