OT…Question to the whisky tasters.

Bruichladdich is a very popular Islay whisky, but it is not as peaty as some of the others

There are 9 malt distilleries on Islay and Jura...

If the Laddie bottle was awesome, then look for Bunnahabhain, Jura, Bowmore, Caol Ila, Kilchoman... in that order....Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Lagavulin...tend to be more peaty and smoky...

Mark I didn’t know you were high maintenance but will keep that link bookmarked and the thought deeeeep in the back of my mind.
In the mean time you may want to consider a price increase.

Paully thanks for the suggestion.

geniusintraining said:
I just bought a bottle of Tyrconnell Single Malt Irish Whiskey... I have not opened it yet...

Not to tout Irish Whiskey so much but I obviously would have more experience with them than any others. Tyrconnell Single Malt is distilled by The Kilbeggan Distilling Company, who date back to 1757.

Among their award winning brands is a gem I love "Connemara Peated Single Malt" (@ €43)...

Connemara_Bottle_wTube.png

The "Original" variety is somewhat more sweet, but smooth and smoky. I have a bottle of that at home. We take in exchange students at different times of the year and also Summer holiday teenagers. We had a French teenager staying with us this Summer (who was actually starting computer programming studies in France in September, so lots to talk about) and his Father wanted him to bring back a Peated Single Malt, so I bought him a bottle of the Connemara "Original" variety above. His Father phoned me up to say "Wow!". He wouldn't be the first Whiskey connoisseur I've had fall in love with it.

You can also opt for the "12" year version which is a lot more spicey and nutty (@ €79)...

CN-12-yr.png

I've only tried that once but it was gorgeous, for me anyway.

Or for something stronger you can opt for the Connemara Cask Strength for which the peat and malt tastes are apparently much stronger (@ €80)...
Connemara_CaskStrength.png

I've never tried that one but I'm sure it has quite the kick.

This is the Kilbeggan Distilling Company's website...

http://www.kilbeggandistillingcompany.com/

...and this is the Connemara Brand's own website...

(scroll down to review each variety)

https://www.connemarawhiskey.com/

I can drive about half an hour to pick up a bottle, if they have it in stock, but sourcing it Stateside, I wouldn't be sure?

But there are so many out there you'll surely find something he really loves.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Playing devils advocate here.

is he / she a recovering alcoholic?
if yes, that would not be a good gift to send them.
will they be offended by this gift?
if yes, do you want to loose the customer?

just asking questions.
james

Took me a little time to find it but at the same time I bought "Oban 14 Yr Scotch Whisky" I have yet to try either.... I am going to give yours a try next time George

On weekends I like to get stupid drunk 🍻 weekdays I get smart drunk ;)

geniusintraining said:
...I am going to give yours a try next time George...

Hey, no you're not! Get your own!

But I don't think a discussion with a glass each in hand would be anywhere near stupid, my friend. At least not for the first hour anyway!

G.

It has to be a single malt
Blended is just too raw.
Glenmorangie for me everytime. Smooth and fiery after.
Been lucky this year, 2 bottles given to me for service above and beyond the call of duty.

To close this one I ended up getting Ardbeg Islay Single Malt 22 years and then hand delivered.

James, truer questions could not asked.

Thanks to All!

One of my favorite scotch's is Dalwhinnie. It is a nice, crisp, clean single malt. The 15 year isn't all that expensive, and it is still exquisite. Locally, I think I pay around $50 or so for a bottle of the 15, of course older gets higher in price, and much better.

If money were no object, and his wife might also like a dram or two, one of the best liquors ever is Grand Marnier 100. That will probably run about $180 a bottle, but it is bloody delicious, liquid heroin. Seriously. Don't mix it, just put a sip on your tongue, and inhale the vapor...

I think I need a shot now....

Most people in the US prefer Speyside (smoother) to Islay (saltier), with Highland (high peat moss) falling somewhere in between. Bruichladdich is an Islay so it's safe to say that's what he prefers. Use Google to find a map of scotch regions and find brand names by searching for distilleries in those areas. As a general rule the older the better, but some people prefer the 15-18 range over the 21+ scotches. Since he said 23 year I'd go big on age. Laphroaig makes a 25 and a 30 year but that's one of the popular brands, not sure how hipster he is about his drinks... Bowmore makes a 25 year, I just had a Bowmore 16 recently that was pretty decent. Bunnahabhain I just happened across on Google, never heard of that, also 25 year Islay. There's Caol Ila 32 year, which seems dirt cheap for 32 year... not sure what to make of that.

Islay is an acquired taste - lot of regular single malt drinkers do not like it. Get a bottle of Appleton Estate 21 year old rum - he will love you for it.

Not to tout Irish Whiskey so much but I obviously would have more experience with them than any others. Tyrconnell Single Malt is distilled by The Kilbeggan Distilling Company, who date back to 1757.

Among their award winning brands is a gem I love "Connemara Peated Single Malt" (@ €43)...

Connemara_Bottle_wTube.png

The "Original" variety is somewhat more sweet, but smooth and smoky. I have a bottle of that at home. We take in exchange students at different times of the year and also Summer holiday teenagers. We had a French teenager staying with us this Summer (who was actually starting computer programming studies in France in September, so lots to talk about) and his Father wanted him to bring back a Peated Single Malt, so I bought him a bottle of the Connemara "Original" variety above. His Father phoned me up to say "Wow!". He wouldn't be the first Whiskey connoisseur I've had fall in love with it.

You can also opt for the "12" year version which is a lot more spicey and nutty (@ €79)...

CN-12-yr.png

I've only tried that once but it was gorgeous, for me anyway.

Or for something stronger you can opt for the Connemara Cask Strength for which the peat and malt tastes are apparently much stronger (@ €80)...
Connemara_CaskStrength.png

I've never tried that one but I'm sure it has quite the kick.

This is the Kilbeggan Distilling Company's website...

http://www.kilbeggandistillingcompany.com/

...and this is the Connemara Brand's own website...

(scroll down to review each variety)

https://www.connemarawhiskey.com/

I can drive about half an hour to pick up a bottle, if they have it in stock, but sourcing it Stateside, I wouldn't be sure?

But there are so many out there you'll surely find something he really loves.

Regards,
George

Can you get this in the states? I like Irish whiskey and would love to try this.