Programing Compact Logix to Yaskawa VFD Ethernet

bendanator

Hello everyone,

to get straight to the question, I have done simple programming with digital inputs and outputs but I have never programmed a PLC to VFD over Ethernet. I start to mess with it a bit and found out how to setup a Powerflex drive over the Ethernet, which was a lot easier then I thought it would be, but to make things more difficult they are wanting Allen Bradley PLC's with Yaskawa VDF's. I have no clue how to set this up over the Ethernet. Thanks again.

You start by determining what protocols are supported by both the PLC and the drive. Then you set up messaging between the PLC and the drive. At a minimum the will need to read a status word from the drive and write a command word to the drive. You will probably want to read more than just the status word and write a speed command in addition to the command word. The drive manual or supplemental manual for the communications protocol should give you the details of how to put together the command data and the addresses of the data available to be read by the PLC.

The first thing you have to doin download and install the Yaskawa EDS file for the drive you are using. then the rest should be the same as you used on the Powerflex drive

For a Logix 5000 system the normal method of communicating using the EtherNet/IP protocol with supported CIP devices, such as PowerFlex drives, is by means of an Add-On Profile or "AOP". Stock AOPs are installed at a particular version with the Logix 5000 software, such as Studio 5000, and provide a predefined module applet which users can then add into the I/O Configuration within the application project. AOPs facilitate a richer and easier user interface to the supported devices where, in the case of a PowerFlex drive, the essential Logic Status and Logic Command Words are automatically prescribed to at AOP creation. A user may then access further parameters via Datalinks which offer up a list of useful read and write parameters which are preconfigured at the CIP level (Class, Instance, Attribute), similar to the Logic Words. This removes the need for the user to know and manually configure the necessary CIP specific commands.

For CIP devices, that also support the EtherNet/IP protocol, but are non Allen Bradley and do not provide a predefined AOP, a user must manually configure a means of interfacing with the device. There are a couple of methods of achieving this, but the most popular second method would be creating a Generic Ethernet Module under the I/O Configuration. For this method however, the user must know and manually configure the CIP specific commands required to access the CIP parameter Assemblies in the device.

Many third-party automation equipment manufacturers provide either a higher level Logix 5000 AOP, or CIP commands required to configure a Generic Ethernet Module within a Logix 5000 project. Some, but not many, provide what is known as an EDS-based AOP, which provides the CIP configurable commands within the device's EDS file, which is normally just used to define the device within a CIP configuration. Another method used are CIP configured Messages or "MSG" instructions for direct access to the device parameters. MSGs are also quite commonly implemented in these cases.

For Yaskawa, I do not see, or know of any AOPs for these drives, but I've not used one in some years, so perhaps there are now and I'm just not finding any reference to them. What I do see, and depending on your drive model, and assuming it already has an Ethernet option, are documents which outline the use of a Generic Ethernet Module and how to configure the CIP commands. They also outline example configurations for the use of a CIP MSG instruction. I do know I have successfully used those methods to this brand drive in the past.

Further, a Logix 5000 Add-On Instruction or "AOI" is also available for these drives which provides a per instance interface to process the tags made available by the Generic Ethernet Module.

See here for a reference PDF for the Generic Ethernet Module configuration and MSG instruction...

Integrating a Yaskawa AC Drive with EtherNet/IP Option With AB

See here for a reference PDF to the available Add-On Instruction...

Add-On Instruction (AOI) - Yaskawa

If your drive's options are suitably Ethernet endowed then that should get you started, if not over the line.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Yaskawa has a detailed (14 page) manual available on line that shows you all of the steps. It’s a lot of work compared to doing plug-and-play with a Rockwell drive using its AOP, but it’s possible.

Oops, never mind, it was linked in the previous response...

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch for the information. I have run into one problem. When making the AOI It created the tags and logic for me under the AOI. How do I use those tags in my main Program Logic. Second do I need to stat it anywhere what size drive or does the logic not care? Thanks again.

Tag within the AOI are only visible in the AOI
you do have full access to the AOI I/O
if you are think of the Drive profile the all the tags are available in the program
the Profile is considered I/O to the processor

think of an AOI as a black box you cant see what's in side you can only see the parameters Inputs, Outputs and Input / Outputs
you use the same AOI as many time as you want each item you give is a different name (Tag) then reference that tag (input Output ) in the program
Treat the AOI as any other element if it is in a local program it is only visible within that program, if you place the AOI in the main memory then it will be visible and available to all other programs.
if make any changes to an AOI then that change will be changed in all instances of that AOI so you want to make sure that your AOI works before you deploy it.
go out to Rockwell's web site and read the documentation on them to help you understand it

First things first, if you don't mind?...

bendanator said:
Thanks a bunch for the information. I have run into one problem. When making the AOI It created the tags and logic for me under the AOI. How do I use those tags in my main Program Logic...

If we could park for a second please your query regarding the AOI tags and take one step backwards...

bendanator said:
...do I need to stat it anywhere what size drive or does the logic not care?...

Because you are adding the drive as a Generic Ethernet Module, the software does not know which drive, or even that it is a drive you are adding. But to communicate successfully to the drive, the Generic Ethernet Module must be configured correctly to exchange EtherNet/IP data with the drive's predefined I/O Assemblies.

So...

Which model Yaskawa drive are you using and which Ethernet option does it have?

Have you added your drive as a Generic Ethernet Module under the I/O Configuration in the Logix 5000 project?

If so, on the "Connection" tab have you configured the Generic Ethernet Module's Connection Parameters (Input/Output/Configuration Assembly Instances & Sizes)?

The above Assembly Instances may be specific to the model drive or Ethernet Option you are using. You must know which Assembly Instance numbers are to be entered for the Generic Ethernet Module or else incorrect module-defined tags will be created.

A typical Basic Assembly Instance configuration would be the following:

Assembly Instance / Size

Input: 70 / 2 (32-bit)

Output: 20 / 2 (32-bit)

Configuration: 1 / 0 (8-bit)

But again, this can vary and not only by which drive model, but also by which application type we are dealing with (Basic, Extended, High Speed, Torque, etc.). At a minimum, knowing which model drive and Ethernet option you are using will help us in double-checking for you whether you have the correct Generic Ethernet Module configuration.

However, if you can confirm that the above is done, and you are sure it is configured to match the model drive you are using (correct Assembly Instances), then we can proceed to the AOI parameter tags.

Regards,
George

So do my programming within the AOI Logic? I do not 100% understand what your saying. Thank

Generally you would leave the AOI as it is. Changing it once changes it for every instance of the AOI.
You can write to any of the tags in the AOI in your own program to input to the AOI but I would say leave the AOI as is