How to design hmi screen for gas chromatograph

IdealDan

Hi Guys,

I'm designing an HMI application for a Gas metering Plant,
Right now I'm stuck at a point where I have to make a screen for displaying Values from Gas Chromatography for Gas quality Analysis. The Values will come from the GC to the PLC via Modbus RTU (RS485) Protocol. Are my to use only 'Numerical Display' for this purpose or is there a special way of doing this

Please I need someone that has similar project to please give me a guide.

Regards

What is the Hmi and Plc?
What Modbus registers will you want to address?
Thanks for responding!

HMI Mitsubishi GOT 2000 Series, and PLC is Mitsubishi MELSEC Q series
REGISTER: Values from Gas Chromatography should be INPUT REGISTERS. PLC will just do a read only from GC Values.

Your Further response will be appreciated please.

Hi Guys,

I have to make a screen for displaying Values from Gas Chromatography for Gas quality Analysis. The Values will come from the GC to the PLC via Modbus RTU (RS485) Protocol.

Please I need someone that has similar project to please give me a guide.

Regards

The first that comes to me is a BAR CHART!

But unless your "Gas Chromatography" can output it's findings(different gas values) through modbus address, I don't know how this would work.

Example: the "GC" takes a sample and finds "Oxygen", "Carbon Dixoide", Etc. it will have to store the Oxygen into a Modbus register, Carbon Dixoide into another modbus register and so forth.

So the left side of the bar graph would be 0-100%, so in this sample the oxygen value might be 5500ppm, carbon dixoide=3000pmm and Etc=1500ppm (as you can see all three = 100%) and now you can display this information in a bar chart.

As I said this would just be my idea on how I might attempt this project.

Gases.jpg

The first that comes to me is a BAR CHART!

But unless your "Gas Chromatography" can output it's findings(different gas values) through modbus address, I don't know how this would work.

Example: the "GC" takes a sample and finds "Oxygen", "Carbon Dixoide", Etc. it will have to store the Oxygen into a Modbus register, Carbon Dixoide into another modbus register and so forth.

So the left side of the bar graph would be 0-100%, so in this sample the oxygen value might be 5500ppm, carbon dixoide=3000pmm and Etc=1500ppm (as you can see all three = 100%) and now you can display this information in a bar chart.

As I said this would just be my idea on how I might attempt this project.
Thanks for the info,
Just that the Customer wants to see Numerical values of the Analysis of different Gas compositions.
Can I just use Normal Numeric Display button for individual Gases?

Thanks for the info,
Just that the Customer wants to see Numerical values of the Analysis of different Gas compositions.

Well if that's what the customer wants... then why ask the question?

Sometimes.. for good customers.. when i know that they don't really know what they want.. I'll do one set of screens for what they want and one set for what i think they need. Then i let them choose.

I assume you are talking about displaying the data on an AB Panelview, of some flavor.

Forget about visualization for a moment. Ask yourself: how can I get the data into my tag database? Once there, visualization becomes easy.

So, you've got this device that talks Modbus RTU. Can your HMI talk Modbus RTU? Dunno -- maybe with a Kepware driver. (I'm not looking it up for you).

If not, then the data needs to first get into a PLC that you CAN talk with. How? Well, there are ProSoft modules for AB that can do it, I'm pretty sure. Again, once it's in a PLC that you're talking to, the rest is downhill.

This is an odd question that you are asking, with the amount of experience that you should have by now. The Panelview software has what it has. It has numeric display objects for displaying numbers (although you can also display numbers in other objects like Multistate indicators and any other object that can handle embedded variables). But there are no "Modbus RTU" objects in the library. You just need to be able to talk to the thing that has the number, in the right format (including big endian / little endian).

RTFM

I assume you are talking about displaying the data on an AB Panelview, of some flavor.

Forget about visualization for a moment. Ask yourself: how can I get the data into my tag database? Once there, visualization becomes easy.

So, you've got this device that talks Modbus RTU. Can your HMI talk Modbus RTU? Dunno -- maybe with a Kepware driver. (I'm not looking it up for you).

If not, then the data needs to first get into a PLC that you CAN talk with. How? Well, there are ProSoft modules for AB that can do it, I'm pretty sure. Again, once it's in a PLC that you're talking to, the rest is downhill.

This is an odd question that you are asking, with the amount of experience that you should have by now. The Panelview software has what it has. It has numeric display objects for displaying numbers (although you can also display numbers in other objects like Multistate indicators and any other object that can handle embedded variables). But there are no "Modbus RTU" objects in the library. You just need to be able to talk to the thing that has the number, in the right format (including big endian / little endian).

RTFM
OK,
Thanks Bro

I would not do a bar chart for one simple reason. Usually the largest component in natural gas is methane (something like 96%) the remainder is other gas components like iso-butane, hexane, etc which are all very low numbers. Your bar chart would be dominated by methane and all other components would be very small values.

the best way to present chromatograph data is by simply presenting the numbers. present all of the component gases, total mole%, dry and wet heating value.

What model GC is this for? a Daniels, Emerson, ABB?

Edit: If you do present a chart, a line chart with history would be a better option so the operator could observe gas quality changes over time. Just an FYI, most GC's take multiple minutes to take a single sample so your line chart would look like it had a bad sample rate, but that would be normal.

Last edited:
I would create a screen and display the components and their associated data values.

the components are fixed and the data comes from the gas company into the plc.

creating any kind of a graph leaves things up for interpretation.

data numbers cannot be misread, graphs can.

james

i don't know much and no familiar this stuff MELSEC Q and GC.

i think it very challenge to u

by reading the user manual by google surf,few list need to go with it.

you need to go through this

1.) QJ71MB91.

2.) GX Configurator-MB (SW1D5C-QMBU-E)

http://dl.mitsubishielectric.com/dl/fa/document/manual/plc/sh080578eng/sh080578engj.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bob00fG5lXs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_ZfTYyD08E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kFKxgQ-KEs

then go to

https://www.energysupplychain.com/t... MON2020 Gas Chromatograph Software Rev D.pdf

page 420

or

http://www.emerson.com/documents/au...are-for-gas-chromatographs-rev-s-en-70568.pdf

page 387

o_Oo_Oo_O