I have to head to a customer tomorrow and upload from MicroLogix 1000

PLCplease

What am I going to get? A program with rungs and instructions and absolutely no descriptions and comments?

There is no offline version of the program available. We are upgrading them to Compact Logix, I was just hoping I had a program to work with to reconstruct the logic.

I've never worked with anything prior to Micro 1400.

Any tips? Thanks for any insight.

Correct. Without a digital copy of the program, you won't get the comments.

You might be in luck and find a printed copy somewhere on site.

On the bright side, the ML1000 only has 1K of memory, no floating point, no expansion I/O and many other limitations, so the amount of documentation you have to rebuild should be minimal. Look for electrical drawings while on site and take a lot of pictures.

We deal with this a lot when we have to work on purchased equipment where the OEM was not willing to provide a documented program. After uploading the logic, I usually go through and name all the inputs and outputs; this is easy if you have a schematic and just a bit more work if you don't. At that point you can usually make sense of an average sized program as long as the programmer didn't go nuts with his internal memory bits.

If you have to reverse engineer it, spend at least a day onsite, online with the PLC, while the machine is running. Start by entering descriptions for all of the I/O, and then start commenting the memory bits based on the I/O comments and what you can observe of the machine operation and code activity. It's a bit like a crossword - it's tricky to start with, but the more pieces you fill in, the more clues you get to help you out with the rest of the unknowns.

I recently had to do this with a very large micrologix 1500 PLC, that had only very minimal (and mostly incorrect/misleading) documentation. Took a while, but like I say, you plod away slowly for a while and eventually hit a tipping point where you've documented enough that the remaining bits are easily worked out.