VFD with integrated PLC?

Rson

Just curious if anyone knows of any VFDs with integrated PLCs in some sort of NEMA or IP rated enclosure?

I do a lot of jobs with a single motor and it would be great to have the motor controlled with the VFD and room for a few inputs (such as a four point level switch) and outputs to turn on something like a solenoid valve.

I get that it probably wouldn't have much on the output side (100-200mA?) but I could probably use an IP67 power supply or something like that.

Thanks in advance.

In fact Yaskawa has a vfd that will meet your needs
they have a free downloadable software to program the them
also check out there Qpump vfd

Thanks for the replies already. I'll look into them.

I noticed in another thread someone was mentioning an HMI straight to VFD. Anyone had success with that as well?

I have not done a HMI directly to a vfd it would be an interesting project I am sure it could be done Net Studio Modbuss
the Yaskawa allows you to mount the operator keypad remotely using standard ethernet cable

Not sure about your price range, but I think that some of the AB Powerflex drives are capable of using DeviceLogix for simple digital control.

I know that Yaskawa A1000 VFDs have what they call DriveWorksEZ. Which is programming of logic on the VFD logic board.

Also, I know that Red Lion HMIs will interface directly with Yaskawa Servo drives, and possibly the VFDs too.

We have several of the Red Lion/Yaskawa servo cases in our plant. And, I was going to attempt to try to make a system that uses the Red Lion HMI directly to a Yaskawa A1000 VFD.

A-B PowerFlex 40, 70, 700 and 750 drives all have a PLC-like functionality built in, called "DeviceLogix" to where you can use I/O in the VFD independently of the VFD's operation. I believe Siemens drives have something similar as well.

Last edited:
Control Techniques drives have an internal PLC. On the M700 series, a co-processor can be added as well to implement a 'full blown PLC' with remote I/O etc.

They have NEMA-1 enclosure options.

I figured most any VFD that's a Modbus Slave can directly use an HMI... I've done several brands.

Siemens drives have something called 'free blocks" in the G120 general purpose drive family. You could build your code in these and connect to drive inputs and outputs. They look like this pic attached
These are just some of the instructions

Also- you can connect a Siemens HMI directly to the drive to read and write drive parameters (ie PID setpoints..current limit...etc)

freeblocks.jpg

Last edited:
Proface will control a 525 through implicit messaging over Ethernet. You simply add the device IP and a few rungs of logic and it works fine. I can't tell you exactly how it's done because this is a public forum and we are an OEM. But it's not super hard or expensive.

Last edited: