Normally open or closed or...

NO & NC

The way I have been explaining the normally open/normally closed in PLC land is a simple true and false statement.

The NO is TRUE if power is going through the discrete device. It is FALSE if no power through the device.

The NC is TRUE if no power is running through the discrete device. It is FALSE if there is power running through the device.

To show the point, a hard wired start-stop station is drawn. Then go through how it will be programmed into the PLC. They see that the stop button in the hard wired example is a NC switch but shown as a NO in the PLC program and wired to a discrete point on the input card.

So far I have had real good luck with this example.

Andrew T. Groff

Similar Topics

Hi, Im wondering how i have to make the circut for a emergency stop that have to normally closed relays and a push button. When i push the button...
Replies
Views
Maybe I'm getting confused because of all the topics on XIO/XIC or NO/NC instructions but I'm just looking at my PLC relay outputs on my...
Replies
Views
Hello, my name is Steve and im completely new to programming and using plc's Ive had LogixPro sim for 4 days now and sucessfully managed to...
Replies
Views
hii,i am new to plcs and need to know about NC and NO. when power is supplied through both NO contact,it closes and powre flows through the rest...
Replies
Views
Safety for a motion system that is like 30ft+ in the air and not normally accessible? We are looking at designing a sprayer that moves back and...
Replies
Views
Back
Top Bottom