Wincc Flex comm interface Ethernet VS HMI IE

JOLTRON

Lifetime Supporting Member
Can anyone shed some light on this situation for me? I went to a sister plant yesterday to add alarm loggin to our network on from a HMI. At one point the HMI locked up so I needed to reboot it. When I rebooted the HMI the entire line went down. This was a major ordeal that took an hour and a half to recover from.

At the plant I typically work out of we can reboot the HMI's with out a problem.

On the HMIs that reboot without issues the connection in WinCC Flex is as follows:
Name - CPU319
Active - ON
Communication Driver - Simatic S7 300/400
Station -
Partner -
Node -
Online - On
Interface - Ethernet

On the HMI that crashes the line on reboot the connection in WinCC Flex is as follows:
Name - CPU317
Active - ON
Communication Driver - Simatic S7 300/400
Station - \Machine\Simatic 300(1)
Partner - CPU 317-2 PN/DP
Node - PN-IO
Online - On
Interface - HMI IE

The big difference is that the machine that crashes has a station, partner, and node selected. This automaticlly changes the interface from Ethernet to HMI IE.

I checked the OB's and didn't see anything for this situation.

I have been told the machine crashes also if any of the 3 cognex cameras are rebooted.

Is this a profinet issue? I figured there would be and OB86 or something to keep the line from going down.

Sorry this was so long,
-Joel

Edit:
Also the HMI is a MP377

Last edited:
I am guessing that you miss OB82 from your program.

Apart from that, when posting about S7 CPUs that fault, always investigate the diagnostics buffer, and post the complete buffer here as a text file if necessary.
(that typically reveals the culprit immediately so no forum post will be needed ;) )

OB82 is existing in the program currently.
As is OB122.

When I checked the diagnostic buffer today I found this.
The faults listed are:
I/O access error, writing
I/O access error, reading

I/O access error, writing
P area, byte access, Access Address: 804
Requested OB: I/O access error OB(OB122)
Priority Class: 1
External error, incoming event.

I assume that the S7 CPU goes to stop mode since you said you investigated the OBs. If that is the case:
and post the complete buffer here as a text file if necessary.

If that is not the case, and it is only the PN nodes that goes offline, then please describe your system setup in detail.
In particular, if switches are used, what kind of switches are they ?

Here are the last 10 items from the Diagnostic buffer.
I will have to wait for a weekend that they are not running to try to simulate the problem again.

When the incedent happend I was more concerned about gettting the machine up and running and was kinda confused that it happend.

I will have to come back later with more detail, I was just curious if I was missing something like maybe profinet using a different OB then profibus.

As far as system setup I can give some genereal inforamtion, I don't know much it was only my second time seeing the machine.

Simatic S7 317-2PN/DP
Sinamics S120 Int D445
Sinamics Cu320
MP377
(3) cognex cameras on profinet

As far as switches, i believe they are all discrete I/) going directly to the PLC / ET200S.

I apologize for not having more information. I will have to investigate more next time I'm out there.

Does the 317 CPU go in STOP ?

The ET200S each have a 2-port switch for forwarding the connection to the next station. But what about the HMI and the Cognex cameras ? I think you must have at least one switch. If it is a switch with Profinet ERTEC chip, I should be capable of blocking any traffic that can interfere with the Profinet traffic.

Finally had some time on the machine to tinker with it and get some updated information.

I think this is my main issue, when I power down the HMI all is fine, but when I power it back up the line crashes.

Event 8 of 127: Event ID 16# 596C
Name of an Ethernet interface already exists
Logical address of the IO device/ Ethernet interface 8190
Operating mode: STOP (internal)
External error, Incoming event
11:42:51.429 AM 04/13/2011

I've included the full log of 127 issues.
Any advice?

Are there any other CPUs or other devices called "PN-IO".
That is a default name, and should be changed to something more specific.
If not changed, it is more likely that two CPUs somewhere are called the same and may interfere with each other.