USB to SERIAL (COM1) Converter problem

sherman4

Hi

I am stuck with a new Laptop which does not have a COM1 serial (9-pin DB9 connector port). I have bought a USB/Serial converter, properly installed the drivers and tried to communicate with a Siemens S7-315 PLC... unsuccessfully.

I am desperate wondering If I am going to have to change my laptop for an older one... that does have the COM1 serial port instead of a plethora of USB.

USB converter device is properly installed, and serial comm. settings match the PC/MPI interface settings. Nevertheless my laptop freezes when I try to connect with any available node serially connected.

Can Anyone give me some advice, had the same kind of problem?, does anyone knows if Siemens sells USB cables to connect their PLCs?

Thank you so much !

Appreciate any help.

I have had this problem over and over and over again.
The only thing that has worked for me in each case, is to call the Tech support line for the manufacturer each time. You know that these people get this question repeatedly. One adapter works for one device but not the other and vice-versa. Now instead of carrying a bag full of gender-benders its become a bag full of USB to serial adapters AND gender benders. I found these...

For AB DH485...ALLEN BRADLEY USB TO DH485 DONGLE, 1747-UIC $180.70
(sure beats $1400 for the PCMCIA to DH485 card/cable)works great
For GE PLC... HORNER USB TO RS232 CONVERTER, HE500-USB600 $65.00
(dont know if it works yet)
For GE Quickpanel... call 1800-GEFANUC, they gave me a belkin # but didnt buy it.
For Yaskawa...BAFO USB TO RS232 CONVERTER, BF-810, www.bafo.com
For Omron...Don't know the number, but they have one for about $400
For Siemens...USB to PC adapter 6ES7972-0CB20-0XA0
BUT... you need Win2000 or XP pro only
Good luck

Thanks

Thanks Control Freak !

Siemens inlcuding a part number for the USB serial adapter ! great!, I am buying one ASAP. Thank you very much.. ! Great advice, I did not have that part list on my catalog CD (I guess it is quite obsolete now).

Thanks again

SH4