OPC Servers

Old No. 7

Anyone have any good alternatives to Kepserver?

We've used Kepserver for the last 15+ years as the OPC server to go along with some custom software we sell. Years ago they were great to work with, but since PTC bought them it seems like they constantly are finding new ways to screw/alienate their customers. Seems like we make their life easy, selling ~20 or so licenses a year. They don't have to call on us and the only support we need is reactivating a license in the event of a customer's PC. They couldn't care less.

We primarily use Allen Bradley and Modbus drivers, but have on occasion used Siemens.

Never used them, but Matrikon shows up every time I look for anything protocol related.

I've used IGS, but it's always the previous Kepware version repackaged as new IGS model.

I like Kepware and they are my 'go to' but I have also used this one, one of my last customers that needed one ask if I would try this one and it was not painful and I was able to set them and they were happy, it was going to a Micro820 and a 850 https://openautomationsoftware.com/

OPC Classic or OPC UA ?

If you are still using the first one, it would be time to change to the new standard.

The whole idea of OPC is that is a standard for multiple vendors.
You dont have to shop at only one vendor.
We have a Rockwell OPC server and a Siemens OPC server running on the same PC, no problem.
It is convenient to have the same setup software for multiple protocols. But if you have only 2-3 protocols, I dont think it is such a big deal to have to learn more than one setup software.

Oh, and if your dissatisfaction with kepware has to do with licensing costs, then both Siemens and Rockwell have lower-cost alternatives.
Siemens Simatic Net Lean can do 8 connections and cost half of a normal license.
Rockwell RSLinx Single Node can do 1 connection and cost also half of a normal license.

I have no complaints about the Kepserver product. Their pricing isn't a huge issue although it's gone up quite a bit over the last few years plus they require you to buy support now where they didn't a few years ago. The fact that we buy 20+ support agreements a year (that we never use), but when we need to support a customer that had a PC failure we're out of luck unless we re-up the support just rubs me the wrong way. I also don't care for their insistence on having end user information.

We also used their Client Ace product in our software which they have now dropped support for so we're out of luck on that.

We'll try some of the other options mentioned above.

Their pricing isn't a huge issue although it's gone up quite a bit over the last few years plus they require you to buy support now where they didn't a few years ago. The fact that we buy 20+ support agreements a year (that we never use), but when we need to support a customer that had a PC failure we're out of luck unless we re-up the support just rubs me the wrong way.
Ah, something they must have learned from Rockwell.
At least Siemens do not have any such demand to be on a support contract.