Waterlogged PLC worth anything?

DavidFogle

We had an enclosure unfortunately fill up entirely with water. We had a different components in there, a Dynamix 1444 Module and terminal base, 5069-l306ER PLC, Allenbradley 5310 6" Panelview touch screen, and a 1606XLE Power supply.

My question is there any market out there with people who would be interested in buying any of that equipment? I feel like it's a waste to throw it out.

Thanks.

Sure, those would be handy as prototype or training equipment.

Rinse them out with distilled water, dry very thoroughly, do a smoke test.

And be sure to disclose the flood damage explicitly when you advertise and sell them. Maybe engrave "FLOOD DAMAGE FEB 2021" on them for good measure.

Rockwell will not even try to recondition flooded hardware of any kind. The liability risk is just too high.

I had a couple of PLC 5 racks fully loaded with cards, a Panelview standard and a AD 205 rack go thru a flood in my work shop. I dried every thing out for a week or two. Amazingly enough it all worked well I applied power and still works to this day. The Siemens stuff I had did not fair so well.:confused: This equipment will not be sold.

With components that have been waterlogged I'd suggest rinsing the guts thoroughly with 99% isopropyl alcohol and drying before applying power. The alcohol will displace any remaining water and the high volatility will make it evaporate faster.

From an ethical standpoint, I'd either keep them for my own testing use, or crush them.

What's the possibility that someone unscrupulous purchases cards, cleans them up, then resells them? Where do they ultimately end up?

Just a thought...

I had a couple of PLC 5 racks fully loaded with cards, a Panelview standard and a AD 205 rack go thru a flood in my work shop. I dried every thing out for a week or two. Amazingly enough it all worked well I applied power and still works to this day. The Siemens stuff I had did not fair so well.:confused: This equipment will not be sold.

More proof PLC5's cannot be killed.

I have a similar story about several PLC-5 racks being submerged, one for sure with power still present. All of them survived and were running a few hours later after we dried them out. The antique servo amplifiers in the same panels did not fare so well. We did lose one AC (triac) output card, and several of the fuses used on other cards, and one PLC-5/40 had to be reloaded via the serial port.

Some folks think the PLC-5 should be a boat anchor. I contend that after using it to anchor your boat, you can probably dry it out and put it back in service.

From an ethical standpoint

Now if everyone had the point of view ebay would be out of business :D

You can also donate them to a school, maybe find an electronics class that is doing board level repairs and they can let the students hack them up

Some folks think the PLC-5 should be a boat anchor. I contend that after using it to anchor your boat, you can probably dry it out and put it back in service.
I am totally stealing that. In my experience it also applies to Siemens S5 PLC's.

where in SC?

Are you upstate, mid or lower SC? If you are close to Columbia/Aiken, I will take the Allen Bradley stuff off your hands? I work in a R&D lab where its hard to get ICS equipment.