Kinetix 5500 Homing - Unconventional

If you have any remote digital outputs in the area of the drive, you could wire one of those to the drive, and have the PLC set that when the home input comes on.

Like others have said, that does introduce a small amount of delay so you have to determine if that is acceptable, but I've done it before and it worked well in my application.

Thanks Jack, I also was wondering about this and was going to try it. I am assuming I would also use passive instead of active homing as I would initiate the move with logic instead of the drive initiating the move?

Duplicate post

Last edited:
Thanks Jack, I also was wondering about this and was going to try it. I am assuming I would also use passive instead of active homing as I would initiate the move with logic instead of the drive initiating the move?

Correct...MRP or Passive MAH using the offset are practically the same. IF you are not homing to zero, then the MRP is easier to define a variable for the offset. You can use an SSV to set the offset in the MAH configuration as well but not as straightforward.

One other thing to consider is if you're going to use the IsHomed status bit from the axis tag. The passive MAH will set it. The MRP will not. For that reason I usually use the passive MAH.

I've always used a MAM between the MAS and MAH to set the offset.
But as always, there are several ways to a trick, and it depends on the needs, which solution is the better one to take.

Jack