RSLogix 5000 Installation

HunterM93

At the factory I work in we have versions of RSLogix 5000 ranging from version 10 to version 20. When installing RSLogix 5000 it asks which versions to install but currently i can only do one at a time.

Does anybody know how to setup the installations to where I can start the install at version 10 and end at version 20 or at least where it could lump install some of them?

If this can be done for RSLogix could it also be done for Studio 5000 since we run Studio 5000 version 24, & 28 - 32?

always start at the lowest nd work you way up
be aware that V12 requires Netframe i think V4 to be installed good luck finding it
also I don't think you can install them in Windows 10 Windows 7 will work

ver 10 -20 will require many hours to install each ahs to be install and the computer rebooted between each

be aware that V12 requires Netframe i think V4 to be installed good luck finding it

ver 10 -20 will require many hours to install each ahs to be install and the computer rebooted between each

Currently we run Windows 10 Enterprise and i have no issues with getting RSLogix 5000 versions 10 - 20 & Studio 5000 up to version 33 working on the computers with no issues. We also run Panelbuilder32 v3.83 and FactoryTalk View Studio ME/SE up to version 11 currently. Everything works as well as panelbuilder 32 working with the newer versions of RSLinx. We don't use Virtual Machines as its against our IT policies. I've been setting up our programming computers for 3 years now and I have wrote our procedure for doing it.

I just didn't know if there was some way to speed up the installs instead of having to do each of the Logix installs one at a time. Our machines take abuse and I'm having to redo at least 1 machine a month due to damage, water, etc...

The biggest downside I've experienced with our range of software ages is having to deal with 32 bit panelviews so i have had to setup a separate computer that is set aside for programming on them until we can upgrade. It is also used for programming in RSView 32 since we still have 2 instances of it floating around.

I believe you mean .net framework ?

I don't believe any of the installers check for later revisions of "stuff", they do check for "stuff" that needs to be updated and updates them accordingly. I believe in certain cases a "newer" version of "stuff" can get overwritten by an "older" version, which obviously is gonna cause issues down the line.

I have never tried installing an interim version of Logix/Studio5000, always electing to do a complete install of every version, sequentially, starting from V10. If I had to install an interim version (say V14, which was a special build for a special customer, and not publicly available), I would do it in a VM.

Yes, it takes many, many hours, (several days to do the whole lot !), and when you watch what is being decompressed and reinstalled at each revision, you will understand why it takes so long. There is zero concept of the installer saying "have we already got these module profiles", they just plod along overwriting the last ones. It's not great ....

Yes i mean net.framework
i have heard some people say they can get all versions to run under Widows 10 but i have not bee able to make it work and yes my system is updated with all the latest updates
lust last week i tries to reinstall Logix5000 on my system and V12 required Net Framework but every time i tried to install it it would error out, error message versions not compatible with my current operating system
the reason you start at the bottom and go up lower versions may install packages the overwrite the newer then the later versions will not run so you then have to start over
so in short it's best to install in order

I think V20 is the latest Logix 5k that's officially supported on Win 10.

V19 runs on my PC at work but another coworker couldn't get it to run. We still got some GE 90-30 so I understand the pain but eventually, it's better just to upgrade the older PLCs or update the firmware to the latest they will take.

you might want to consider upgrading the firmware and software version of earlier installs if that is possible. That way you can easily support the versions. I have not run into too many problems when upgrading processors. The only bigger issue is when you have servos or motion attached to a project, then that turns into an adventure in itself.

Just remember some cards such as ethernet run better if that version matches up with the processor. Check compatibility matrix to verify the upgrade of the processor.

Upgrading all of our older Processors, HMI's, and Drives are on the list however the biggest constraint is $$$ and also what has the greatest risk. Luckily we have some plans on how to get things back going and software converted already if there is a failure. Its easier to get the unplanned upgrades for processors and occasionally HMI's when its either do it or not run. Most of our stuff is RTF with a plan in place for the failure.

HunterM93 said:
At the factory I work in we have versions of RSLogix 5000 ranging from version 10 to version 20. When installing RSLogix 5000 it asks which versions to install but currently i can only do one at a time.

Does anybody know how to setup the installations to where I can start the install at version 10 and end at version 20 or at least where it could lump install some of them?...

Have you got RSLogix 5000 v10 - v20 installation media, such as the RSLogix 5000 v20.01.00 DVD? This disc, for example, includes RSLogix 5000 v10.07.00 thru v20.01.00. When you use this disc to install v20 it should give you the option to also install all previous versions.

Options you should have...

Latest Version Only
Every Version
Custom

Choosing "Every Version" will proceed to install v10 through v20 "automatically". However, this is not meant to be a silent or unattended installation process. You should still be knocking about to keep an eye on it as several prompts or errors might (usually do) display along the way, needing your attention. Also, as mentioned, there will be reboots required where you may need to manually log back into the OS to continue or finish an installation step.

HunterM93 said:
...If this can be done for RSLogix could it also be done for Studio 5000 since we run Studio 5000 version 24, & 28 - 32?

Note: The only Studio 5000 disc we own is the initial version 21 disc. For all other versions since then we have downloaded the installation package. So I cannot confirm the following for Studio 5000 discs, but I would believe it to be so, based on how the older discs worked where several versions are included -

If you have the DVD media for, as an example, Studio 5000 v32, then this disc should include all versions from 16 through 32. I would expect, similar to the older RSLogix 5000 discs, that you may also select to install "Every Version", or "Custom" where you could select only v24 and 28 - 32, ignoring all other versions not required.

Again, someone, or yourself could double-check if it is possible to perform a multi-version installation with Studio 5000 multi-version DVDs?

Note also that the option to choose or customise a multi-version install does not appear until a few steps into the installation process.

Also, as of Studio 5000 v30, silent/unattended installation is now supported. Here you may use certain command-line parameters to execute the installation of a version without the need for further involvement from yourself. All versions prior to v30 do not support this feature. However, some updated minor version releases prior to v30 do support silent/unattended installation (example: v28.03).

Regards,
George

Have you got RSLogix 5000 v10 - v20 installation media, such as the RSLogix 5000 v20.01.00 DVD? This disc, for example, includes RSLogix 5000 v10.07.00 thru v20.01.00. When you use this disc to install v20 it should give you the option to also install all previous versions.

Please keep in mind that if this disk is from before the release of V20.05, you should reinstall V20.05 from Rockwell's website. It will also potentially fix issues you have for lower versions, as it replaces the files in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\Common"

So, in my opinion, the order of install should be: V10-20 using that singular disk, V20.05, V21-33 from the newer multiversion image that Rockwell is offering.