Studio 5000 Inhibit IO Card

Ramgaard

Is there a way to change inhibit state of an IO card at the bit level?
I know it can be done with modules via GSV/SSV

But can it be done on individual IO cards in the rack ?

I have a 1769-33ER with some 1769-IQ32 and 1769-OB16 cards.

The Idea is to have the IO cards disabled by default for Simulation on CPU alone, and then activate the IO card from the progam when they are needed.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Connections are made from a CPU to an I/O module at the module level, so you definitely cannot enable or disable an individual point on the module.

For the sort of simulation you describe, you must use "forcing" or an Input buffering routine that allows you to select the actual state of an input, or the simulation value, to be used in the PLC program.

I create my code so when simulation is enabled it doesn't read or write to the IO. Maybe go that route.

Also, maybe a need to look at mapping, vs alias, then you can do whatever you want in your map code.

I create my code so when simulation is enabled it doesn't read or write to the IO. Maybe go that route.

Also, maybe a need to look at mapping, vs alias, then you can do whatever you want in your map code.

This is the way.

Ramgaard said:
Is there a way to change inhibit state of an IO card at the bit level?
I know it can be done with modules via GSV/SSV

But can it be done on individual IO cards in the rack ?...

Welcome!

I'm not reading this as you requiring to "the bit level" as in the individual I/O points on each module, but that you are "just" trying to inhibit/uninhibit each I/O module at the module level, programmatically, by turning on or off some "bit" which inhibits the modules?

Ramgaard said:
...The Idea is to have the IO cards disabled by default for Simulation on CPU alone, and then activate the IO card from the progam when they are needed.

This statement in particular reads to me like you just require module level interaction, and not to the point level?

Could you please clarify this so we are all on the same page here?

Regards,
George

Hi, thanks for the reply's, and sorry if I haven't been clear enough.
I want my plc code to control the Inhibit bit on the IO card, as below (without having to go to properties, but from plc code using GSV or SSV.):

But as I understand is it not possible.

image.png

I misunderstood your question; you seemed to be saying that you know how to do that with SSV instructions, but that you wanted something different.

Programmatically inhibiting an I/O connection is easy to do with an SSV instruction.

The Inhibit bit is Bit 02 of a 32-bit DINT type tag that you will write to the Mode attribute of the Module object.

The first post by the OP is very confusing. I think the confusion lies in not realizing that the module attribute of an SSV instruction can point to any IO card (which we all call modules as well, adding to the confusion).

So to answer the OP, yes you can use the SSV instruction in your program to inhibit an IO card.

Ramgaard said:
...I know it can be done with modules via GSV/SSV

But can it be done on individual IO cards in the rack ?...

Besides the initial confusion over module/point, which you have now kindly clarified for us, this statement is also a little confusing. My reading of this, however, is that you were assuming the SSV instruction to the module object is global where it would either inhibit or uninhibit all modules and you were wondering is there "another" method available to do likewise at the individual module level?

If so, then of course by now you should have realized that the SSV instruction may be pointed directly at individual modules via the "Instance Name" parameter where you select the module name assigned under the I/O Configuration.

To change the status of bit 2 in the Source word for the SSV, which Ken has pointed you towards, then set or reset this bit before you execute the SSV instruction.

If you have TechConnect, this technote outlines an example of what we are advising to you...

ID: QA7686 | Access Levels: TechConnect
Programmatically Inhibiting a Module with RSLogix/Studio 5000

EDIT: Apologies for any repetition, robertmee. I had not read your reply before making mine.

Regards,
George

Last edited: