Where's the braking resisitor in this panel?

kalabdel

Hello gentlemen,

This goes back a few months and have been wondering about it ever since. I had an overhead door (High speed rubber door similar to this one)that had issues with its circuit board and I had to run it till the supplier ordered and replaced the board.

The door is unbalanced and its weight is hadnled using a 2.5KW motor and a gear box.

I hooked up an Emerson commander SK to the motor, brake and push buttons and ignored pretty much everything else. Going up I could run the motor at any frequency I wanted and I think I used 50Hz but going down was a different issue.
From a full open posisition as it cloesed the door picked up speed and tripped the drive. The fastest I could run it without hooking up a braking resistor was 10-15 Hz. It ran that way for a few days till the board was replaced.
The question is, where's the braking resistor in this board (see attached image)? I am assuming there had to be one or how did they run the motor without it?

Cheers
Kal

IMG_20170316_161856.jpg

Last edited:
On the heatsink?

Some manufacturers used to include a small (5% or so) DB resistor as a standard, for those slight over-hauling applications. This looks like a custom drive / controller for the door operation, so they probably knew what they needed when they designed it, and included it in the design from the start.

the DB resistor is the black box on the lower left of the panel
on question on the lower right is see the panel disconnect but I don't see any wires connected tot eh lower side of it where dos the power come in.
where is the motor connected it looks like it should be connected at the bottom middle but again I don't see any wires connected that would go out to a motor

the DB resistor is the black box on the lower left of the panel
on question on the lower right is see the panel disconnect but I don't see any wires connected tot eh lower side of it where dos the power come in.
where is the motor connected it looks like it should be connected at the bottom middle but again I don't see any wires connected that would go out to a motor

Hi Gary,

I had the wires disconected by then and that's why they're no showing in the above picture. Here's aother showing the power, motor and brake connections.

Kal

IMG_20170314_113958.jpg

that makes more sense
I thought maybe you just mounted it, and didn't hook up the motor yet
check the manual you may need to connect jumper in order for the DB Resister to work
some drives give you the option for internal or external DB resister. the external will give you more breaking.