Christmas Light Control

zaccur

Can someone please tell how I can write a Christmas light PLC program using RSLogix500? I have to write a total of 10 minutes worth of a christmas light display. Thanks

Lights are a well known subject here

Welcome and thank you for asking,
What do you have as hardware, or is this just a generic question about logic? In the past topics we have discussed sequenced lights, timed lights, and modulating lights baised on an analog input value. I would suggest you check the archives and do a search of that forum for the topic "lights". I know it's a little different from a Gooogle search but after awhile you'll get the hang of it!

Hopefully you are just doing some simple light sequences and not trying to sequence to music. If you are going to try to sequence to music do yourself a favor and commit yourself to the looney bin now (yeah, it is really that hard to sequence to music, use a PC it will be much simpler).

Simple sequences are fairly easy to write using bit manipulations, shifting, Logical ANDs, Logical ORs, that sort of stuff.

and back on the hardware issue that Bitmore raised ... what types and how many bulbs are you planning to use? ... it's not too hard to sequence numerous STRINGS of the small (all-in-series) types of lamps ... BUT ... sequencing the individual bulbs within a string is a LOT harder ... think: where will I get the small voltage that each individual bulb requires? ... and then think: how much current will I need from that low voltage power source? ...

on the other hand, the bigger bulbs (about 4-7 watts each) that each run off of a 120 volt power supply are a lot easier to power ... but the total current load can add up if too many are connected to one output ...

as for the PLC end of it ... how many outputs do you have? ... are they relay outputs or solid-state outputs? ... if solid-state, are they 120 volt triacs or 24 volts DC? ...

so we know that you have RSLogix500 ... what type of processor do you have? ... the specific catalog number would be nice to know ... while you're at it, how about the catalog numbers of any output modules you have on hand? ...

as always ... more detailed questions get much more detailed answers ...

finally ... welcome to the forum ...

... from the silver platter department ...

Greetings zaccur,

I had a few minutes in between customer calls ... you might find this little sample program interesting ... just toggle the bits on or off to fill in your own desired flashing pattern ...

you can change the timer’s preset value to slow down the display ...

[attachment]

and just in case you’re a student doing this project for a grade, I apologize for possibly thwarting the educational process ...

merry Christmas ...

christmas.jpg

Spoon-fed

You might find this Article on Christmas lights interesting.

If you just want to use 6 cheap strings of lights from the dollar store, you can start making something happen.

I think you can make a working model for about ten bucks. it won't be finger safe though.
You could wire up three standard duplex outlets. Split the circuits, and plug each string of lights into to each outlet.
Then power each outlet with the Micrologix Outputs. 0,1,2,3,4,5

To do this right your're gonna need an enclosure. that is where it's going to cost $$$
Use Ron's example Here then see what happens when you change the patterns yourself.
Good Luck!
Have fun and be safe.

icky812 said:
Simple sequences are fairly easy to write using bit manipulations, shifting, Logical ANDs, Logical ORs, that sort of stuff.

I don't think I'd even bother with that level of detail, unless the assignment specifically called for it. This is early in the semester, so this is probably just an exercise in using timers.

The simple, yet kind-of messy approach would be to start a 10 (or 20) minute timer and do a series of comparisions (GRT or GEQ). Dump a string of bits, of your chosing, into the outputs for each "step" and poof... You've got at least a "D" grade.

AK

Hi,
For christmas ligiting control with RS logix500, you can use a simple ladder logic with 1 on delay timer and some counters.Reset one counter from the another and finally reset the timer from the dn bit of the last counter. The number of counters you can use depending upon the color of lamps or as you wish.
I hope this might be use ful for you,just try
regards

Hey guys, I'm new to Plc programming I can write simple logic I'm trying to do a Christmas display containing 6 outputs not sure how to write sequence logic or if that's even what I want I need the strands to come on one at a time and then go in reverse then all on just not sure how to write it can somebody shed some light on this I'd like to write it not asking for someone to do it for me thanks for any help.

First, im sorry I didn't know I was being graded on my college thesis. I was just looking for a little help with my Christmas light display. I will look elsewhere. THANK you. Have a nice day.

Hey wait! I can help!

1) Plug FFFFh into your output word. This will turn the lights on.
2) Unplug the cord to the PLC to turn them off.