Communication Errror with SLC 5/05 (Via Ethernet)

Hello all dear PLC Lovers,
I am using SLC5/05 (1747-L552). I want to establish the communication between the SLC and my notebook via Ethernet (Media: Cross Over Ethernet Cable between PC and SLC). The status LEDs are as below..

Power: On

Run: Off
Flt: Off
Batt: Off
Force: Off
Enet: Flashing (Green)
RS232: Off
.................In all three keyswitch modes the status does not change.
Jumper setting is on 2 and 3 (Unlocked). I tried VBB Ground but still it does not respond. SLC does not give reply during pinging..

Its IP was already configured as 10.0.1.1 and Subnet 255.255.0.0. The problem arrived due to Power Supply Fluctuation.
What shoud I do? Please help me...
Note: Cross Over Ehernet cable is ok, NIC is ok..

Thank u so much...

SLC Ethernet

You have a couple of choices, either configure the SLC-5/05 via BootP or go in through the serial port, using DF1, and set a IP address on the same subnet as your laptop

once you've done that, uncheck the BootP box on the comms tab, otherwise you could lose it again

should be able to ping the SLC, and then use RSLinx via Ethernet to check that you can link up

check your crossover cable 1x3 and 2x6. otherwise use straight cables and a mini hub to check the status on both machines
:)

In all three keyswitch modes the status does not change.

That's the problem that concerns me the most. The SLC should always enter RUN mode if the keyswitch is moved to the RUN position. I cannot guess why the controller is not faulted, unless even the self-test section of the controller is not functioning.

You can attempt to remove the battery and short Vbb/GND for 60 seconds to restore the controller to factory conditions.

If you are familiar with Wireshark, install it and see if the SLC is transmitting at all on the Ethernet port.

I think the controller is probably damaged and must be replaced.

Ken is probably right about the CPU being fried, but..

Just in case you (or someone else has) replaced the power supply I thought I'd share this anecdote from about two weeks ago.

We had a SLC power supply fail during night shift. The technician slapped in a new one, and the machine fired right up.

The next morning after the power had been off for cleaning, the SLC had symptoms similar to yours (it's a 5/02 so no enet light). The power supply led was lit, but nothing on the PLC.

They called me on the radio and told me what had happened and I asked them to check for voltage on the power supply 24vdc terminals. The tech opened the door and found that the 120/240 jumper was in the wrong spot. We run 120 vac and it was set for 240 vac.

Somehow, even with the jumper on 240, the machine was able to finish the previous days' production! My tech said the incoming voltage was about 128 vac at times, (a little high) so that must be a factor. He moved the jumper to the correct spot and all is well now.

Good luck,
Paul

Can I use a swtich instead of Mini Hub?

yes, providing it's not one of the intelligent ones that you have to have a degreee in cibernetics to configure, lol

Can you get on line via DF1/Serial? At least you can verify your IP address. Don't forget to include the configuration files for the communications setup, then the diagnostics will work.
If you can't then i concur with Ken & Okie
(y)

Last edited: