Siemens and AB Software Co-Existing on Same laptop

SNK

People, I have spoken about this before in this forum, but this is slightly different. (I should say that everything has been working well for about 6-8 months before the below happened)

Question: Are people having problems with the co-existing Siemens-AB software packages?

Information that we should know about this PC.

OS Win2K SP4
Toshiba Satellite Pro

ABRSlogix5000Professional13.03.00ABSecurityTool V2AB RSLinx Professional2.43.01AB RSlogix500 6.30.00DriveExecutive Lite3.01.00AB PB323.82.00AB Rsview Studio ME3.10.00Codesoft 6 Premier6.1Markem Composer V55.01.004Siemens Step7/MicroW32 V4 SP1V3.2Siemens S5 V7.xSiemens S75.3 ProfSiemens TP DesignerV1.0Siemens ProtoolV6.0AB RSNetworx For Controlnet5.11.00AB RSNetworx For Devicenet5.11.00AB RSlogix5 5.20.10AB ENI Utility GE/Fanuc Quickdesigner3.7

A couple months ago, I attempted to startup S7 Manager V5.3 SP1 Version K5.3.1.0 and I received the "Automation Licence Management" popup window indicating that "Cannot Establish Connection to the Automation Licence Manager Service" window. I wondered what could have happened to make this occur, but nothing stood out. I can still use S7, but with the annoying popups. In Automation Licence manager, I no-longer have a licence installed (Of course I used to have one).

If I go to Admin Tools, and Start the service manually, Windows responds with the

"Could not Start the Automation Licence Manager Service service on local computer. The Service did not return an error. This could be an internal Windows error or an internal service error. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator"

After hours of consult with Siemens Tech Support, and attempting reinstalls after re-installs, the same result occurred. What a waste of time. Installing S7 5.3 takes at least an hour and a half alone. I had indicated that I had a ghost copy of my HD that was known to be good, so they suggested going back to that version. So I did. Whew, back to normal, just have to update my files.

I did that and everything was OK, for awhile. (1 week)

Until I opened RSView Studio ME. I attempted to open up some graphics (gfx) in a known project, and I got the popup window saying that an error had occurred...and shutdown RSView.

Hmmm. So I uninstalled RSViewStudio, RSlinx Enterprise and Factory Automation, rebooted, reinstalled, restarted, and the RSview works. (Under the direction of AB Tech Support) They explained that these apps should have no effect on Siemens Apps. I was leary about removing anything from the PC due to my past problems.

This morning, I went to restart S7 Manager again, and the same damn error popup occurs! (S5 works in DOS)

I can't keep rolling back this damn computer!

Is there anyone else that is having this S7-Authorization Manager problem on their co-existing laptops?

I have the latest versions of Step 7, ProTool Pro, RSLogix 5000, RSLogix 500, RSNetworx for Ethernet/Devicenet/ControlNet, RSView ME, Panelbuilder 32, and Proworx32. As long as I keep RSLinx not running as a service, everything has run fine coexisting.

That is my point, I had all of these things running for about 6-8mo with no problems....then all of a sudden..
Even Windows update is turned OFF.

Hi Kcarlen...A couple of years ago we had problems with AB software and Siemens software on the same laptop {Dell}. I don't really recall all the errors and such , but I talked to one of our tech reps who had both softwares on his laptop {toshiba}. He told us that as long as RS Linx was shut down BEFORE the Step7 was started you should have no problem. We used it like that until recently. {Boss crashed laptop and lost authorizations for both AB and Siemens stuff}.Don't know if that helps but it's all I got.

Later....Todd

Even though I do not feel qualified, I will offer this thought. You mentioned RSView ME and there were posts about shutting down RSLinx and making sure it is not running as a service. This reminded me that when I installed RSView ME, I was instructed by our Rockwell distributor to setup RSLinx Enterprise as a manual service. You do this in Component Service in the Administrative Tools from the Windows Control Panel. When RSView ME is installed or upgraded, RSLinx Enterprise gets set to auto.

RSView ME starts up RSLinx Enterprise when required (even when set to manual). But it does not stop it when it is finished. It does shut down if Windows is restarted.

At any rate, supposedly on rare occasions, you may need to shut down RSLinx Enterprise. The reasons our distributor gave were:
- errors may occur while trying to move a Rockwell activation,
- when a new program is downloaded to a plc, communications could get messed up.
These problems must be rare as I have never experienced them. But, maybe this may help you in some way. I am sure there are others here who can explain the RSLinx Enterprise services.

As for Rockwell and Siemens coexisting on a laptop, I am not experiencing any problems. I have some Rockwell software (RSLogix 5000, 500, 5, Linx, Networx for Devicenet, and RSView ME) and Siemens software (Step 7 Pro v5.3, Protool/Pro v6.x, and Drives ES) installed. I am running WinXP Pro SP2.

It's not RSLinx, but if your linx starts com0 automaticaly on boot you will not be able to use the com port on another app, also if you use RSView ME, set all drivers in linx to manual & start them when required, as this also causes conflict with 500 or 5000
I have RS500, 5000, RSview ME, siemens, koyo, Imo, mitsubishi (GX & IEC), omron, e-desinger & at least another 4 apps for plc's & have no problem with any.