PLCs deployment in industrial area

Just processors or RIO too?

Example we are a large facility, with thousands of conveyor sections spread across miles. A set of redundant processors can control the 100’s of sections. So in reality we only have a few processors, but remote chassis out the wazoo.

Thank you for your reply, I roughly got an idea ;)

I'm gonna be honest, you're asking a question that really doesn't have much meaning. You've chosen undefined and arbitrary categories, and you didn't really define well the metric you're looking for. Originally I thought you wanted how many PLCs are installed across the world, now maybe you want the PLCs per facility?

The question is even more complicated by the fact that PLCs don't have uniform performance. You could have the same system controlled by 1 high end PLC, or several low end ones.

I'd be willing to bet that some marketing organization like ARC has asked a similar question, done the research, and published the result, if you're willing to pay for it.

The link below might be a good place to start:

https://www.arcweb.com/technology-evaluation-and-selection/plcs-plc-based-pacs-control-systems

Yeah the question is quite broad.. Just wanna get a rough picture for the PLCs used in current industries haha. Thank you for providing the link, I will look into it :)

This article is pretty interesting, it shows the plc market was $8.5 billion about 3 years ago. You could take the average cost of a PLC and divide into this to get an extremely rough rough estimate only for 2017.

The best way to figure out the info you are looking for is seeing with the vendor how many plcs they have sold, but I don't think they would share that info with you. Like everyone is saying, your question is very broad, so it's difficult to provide an accurate answer.

https://technology.informa.com/5998... 10 PLC vendors,share increased to 81 percent.

Sorry for the question, and thank you for providing the information, looks quite interesting. I will dig into it.

i work for a small company who produces lines for factorys, i would call alot of our customers medium sized.
usually 1 line will run off of one plc, our customers tend to have around 20 lines or so.
we will also supply single machines that will run off their own plc so you could add a few on to that figure, they usually decide on an upgrade of some form down the line

I hope y'all remembered to count the PLC that waters the plants on my balcony and sends me emails when the tank is empty!

i work for a small company who produces lines for factorys, i would call alot of our customers medium sized.
usually 1 line will run off of one plc, our customers tend to have around 20 lines or so.
we will also supply single machines that will run off their own plc so you could add a few on to that figure, they usually decide on an upgrade of some form down the line

Thank you for the information, really helpful (y)