MicroLogix to ViewMarq screen over ethernet

bigsteve

I am working on a project were I've got to have several displays showing temperatures from different tanks. The data is at a pair of MicroLogix 1100's, and I want to send it to some Automation Direct ViewMarq displays (4 screens from one PLC and 2 from another, each displaying 3 temperatures). After some research, it doesn't appear that this is something that is going to be as easy as I had thought. The ViewMarqs support Modbus TCP but the MSG command from the MicroLogix is Ethernet/IP (from what I understand). Do I need a Ethernet-slave to Modbus-master gateway, or is there some other work around?

I cannot use the serial connection, since I will have multiple screens connected to each PLC.

The ML1400 supports Modbus TCP, but the ML1100 does not. If you could update one of the Micrologix to a 1400, it could handle the messages to the displays and get the data from the other ML1100, since the 1400 can support both protocols needed at the same time. The other Ethernet solution would be to use an HMI as a gateway or purchase a dedicated gateway device. I don't know the ViewMarq, but if it supports Modbus RTU via RS485, you could drive multiple displays from either ML1100 since CH0 does have a RS485 port and supports Modbus RTU.

Well, I do have a ML1400 on the network that I could use to handle the data. How do I get it to handle both protocols?

The ML1400 supports a few protocols but you are often limited to just 2, depending on the protocols. In Logix 500, open up the ML1400 project, in the project tree, underneath controller, open the channel configuration. Go to Channel-1 tab, About 1/2 way down in the middle is a check box for Modbus TCP. Check that.
Another tab will appear Chan-1 Modbus.
This is were you assign the file numbers that will hold the Modbus data. You can also change the port number, but I would leave it at 502.
I assume the ML1400 will be the Server and the displays the clients, I believe the ML1400 can only support 5 clients, so you will be limited to 5 displays.

Last edited: