Changing type of input in 1734-IB8S

cardosocea

Hello,

I have a running system where I'm completing an overfill protection logic and noticed that one of my feedback inputs is configured as "Not Used", and doesn't change state when I apply a signal to the input. This is to be changed to Safety, but when I am about to apply, I get a notification that I'll lose connection to the module and I'm wondering if doing this change is something that will reboot the processor or not.

Is there anyone that had the same predicament before?

I've made this same change online while commissioning in the field with no issues.
The processor does not need to be rebooted and the change "can" be made online while the program is running.

If I remember correctly, when you apply the change the IB8S card reboots, so all of the inputs on that card will go low until it comes back up. How your safety logic handles this may be different than the systems I worked on.

I wouldn't make the change while the machine was running unless you understand what effect all of the safety inputs will have as the module reboots.