Ml1100 Rtc

Jiri Toman

I have to develop an HMI screen to change the time of the day clock in the Micrologix 1100. Unfortunatelly I don't have one available for test, I will have to do this at the job site. By reading the manual and help screens I can see that the RTC function file should be used for reading of the RTC data only, it says that I cannot write to it. Does that mean that in order to set the Real Time Clock I will need to write to status registers S:37 through S:42 and then read back from RTC:0 ? Or can I read back from S:37 through S:42? Just to make sure you that understand, I will need to be able to set the time and then read back the real time and date.
If anyone has done this or can test this for me I would appreciate your input, I don't feel like wasting my time at the job site.
Thanks

Use the CPW command to copy your HMI integers into each element of the RTC.

Example:
CPW N7:00 RTC:0.YR
CPW N7:01 RTC:0.MON
CPW N7:02 RTC:0.DAY
CPW N7:03 RTC:0.HR
CPW N7:04 RTC:0.MIN
CPW N7:05 RTC:0.SEC

I can't test this either, but this is what is recommended...

Paul

OkieP,
From help screens I read this:

Address/Value
The Real Time Clock file uses eight 1-word elements. The real-time clock does not allow you to write invalid date or time data.
You can use a MSG instruction to write the RTC from one controller to another to synchronize time.
The RTC file is read-only via ladder logic when using MicroLogix processors.
Word Bit Description
0 - YR - Year
1 - MON - Month
2 - DAY - Day
3 - HR - Hours
4 - MIN - Minutes
5 - SEC - Seconds
6 - DOW - Day of Week
7 0 DS - Disabled - (Always Read Only)

To me this says that RTC is read only? So how can I write to it as you suggest? Can you provide the link where you found this info?
Thanks

I can test this later tonight on a ML1100 if someone has not done so by then.
Edit...I am assuming the RTC is built in and not like the ML1500 where it is an add-on.

Yeah, RTC is built in on ML1100. I found some knowledge base articles on the subject, the one I was able to open says to use CPW to move data from RTC to N, however it did not say how to set RTC or the time & date status files. I saw some other knowledge base notes but these I could not open, apparently AB thinks now it's fair to disallow people from reading all knowledge base articles

if you don't have tech connect! How do I know that? The pop-up dialog told me!

Well my answer to AB is this: Information on how to manipulate the real time clock should be part of the basic documentation, not something you should have to pay for extra!

Hey Bob O thx for your help.

Article 38778 will not allow me to read it! Could you please open it and paste it here!

Thank you

Jiri Toman said:
Yeah, RTC is built in on ML1100. I found some knowledge base articles on the subject, the one I was able to open says to use CPW to move data from RTC to N, however it did not say how to set RTC or the time & date status files. I saw some other knowledge base notes but these I could not open, apparently AB thinks now it's fair to disallow people from reading all knowledge base articles

if you don't have tech connect! How do I know that? The pop-up dialog told me!

Well my answer to AB is this: Information on how to manipulate the real time clock should be part of the basic documentation, not something you should have to pay for extra!

Hey Bob O thx for your help.

I feel your pain.( I don't have a contract) They now have small lock symbols next to the
the secret stuff.

CPW works for writing to the RTC.

CPW #N7:2 #RTC:0.MON 1

I did notice that if I was writing to the RTC and pressed the Set Date & Time button in the function file it would fault with a user defined fault.

Hope this helps.

Gents,
Thanks for your help. Would anyone know the vintage of FRN 1?
I would presume that since the knowledge base app. note was first released in 2002 the FRN 1 must be fairly old ??
The ML1100 I am going to work on is about 2 years old and so I am hoping that I should be OK.

I have since contacted AB and requested full access to the knowledge base, since I do have the tech connect. I am going to complain to the local AB rep about the fact that this information relates to the basic PLC operation and should not therefore be categorized as some sort of specialty app. note.
This whole idea of restricting the flow of information does not sit well with me!

The ML1100 that I tested it on is about that old also. I can let you know for sure later tonight if you like.

Series A FRN 1 was the first ML1100 release ever. You will be fine with the CPW instructions.

You may want to consider getting the firmware updated on the MicroLogix 1100 for better ethernet comms and general functionality. The firmware can be found here: http://www.ab.com/programmablecontrol/plc/micrologix/downloads.html

(HOT DOG they finally simplified (relatively speaking) the downloads area for the MicroLogix.)