Lantronix to Red Lion Data Station Plus via Modbus

CCasalie

I am attempting to connect to a Advantage Temperature Control Unit that uses a Lantronix Modbus Serial to Modbus TCP Converter.

I have successfully configured the Lantronix unit and am able to ping it from my network.

I have the Red Lion unit on the network and it is currently configured to pass information between my PLC (Rockwell CompactLogix L36 processor) and device on BACnet (this is working with no issues).

I am trying to configure a third Network on the Red Lion to communicate to the Lantronix device but it does not seem to be communicating with it.

All IPs are pingable and it is a brand new closed network with nothing coming in outside the factory floor. Lantronix is set up as a Slave with Red Lion as the Master. For testing, I have a single tag configured to do a Read on one Internal Register (#1) and when I use a Watch Window and try to View Online I get an "n/a" for a value.

Any ideas from someone who has used the Red Lion Data Station Plus for Modbus Communications?

I am also taking suggestions for a decent (preferably free) Modbus testing software that I can use to either try to talk to this or to set it up as a Slave and try to get the DSP to talk to it.

Any advice is appreciated.

I am attempting to connect to a Advantage Temperature Control Unit that uses a Lantronix Modbus Serial to Modbus TCP Converter.

I have successfully configured the Lantronix unit and am able to ping it from my network.

I have the Red Lion unit on the network and it is currently configured to pass information between my PLC (Rockwell CompactLogix L36 processor) and device on BACnet (this is working with no issues).

I am trying to configure a third Network on the Red Lion to communicate to the Lantronix device but it does not seem to be communicating with it.

All IPs are pingable and it is a brand new closed network with nothing coming in outside the factory floor. Lantronix is set up as a Slave with Red Lion as the Master. For testing, I have a single tag configured to do a Read on one Internal Register (#1) and when I use a Watch Window and try to View Online I get an "n/a" for a value.

Any ideas from someone who has used the Red Lion Data Station Plus for Modbus Communications?

I am also taking suggestions for a decent (preferably free) Modbus testing software that I can use to either try to talk to this or to set it up as a Slave and try to get the DSP to talk to it.

Any advice is appreciated.

Check the Ping Register in the DSPLE. Make sure that the Register (typically 1) is a 16 bit integer register and will return a valid value. If not, find an available 16 bit register to use. This will be under Protocol Options when you click on the Device under Communications - Network - Protocol 1 (or whichever it is)

Not having a valid Ping Register is the most common reason for a comms failure assuming everything else seems right.

In Crimson 3.0, the Ping Register is set at the default value of 1. I am not sure how to check if this is correct or how to "find" and available one. Please elaborate a little bit (I have only dabbled in Modbus a few times).

In Crimson 3.0, the Ping Register is set at the default value of 1. I am not sure how to check if this is correct or how to "find" and available one. Please elaborate a little bit (I have only dabbled in Modbus a few times).

It has been a while since I have used a Lantronix but I think it mirrors the registers in the serial device. Look in the Modbus Register list for the device you are trying to reach (the serial device) and find a 16 bit integer. Replace the 1 with that register. I found a manual for an Advantage Controller and it looks like 1001 might be an integer (and 1 is a string so it wouldn't work).

However, you should look in the manual for your device or post a link to the manual you are using and I'll try to help.

Note it needs to be a holding register.

Here is the link to the page that documents the Modbus registers that are called out by the company that has integrated the Lantronix device into their system:

http://www.advantageengineering.com/fyi/277/pdf/advantageFYI277.pdf

It appears that Register 1 should be good.

Without knowing how the Lantronix is set up I don't know that I have anything else to offer. Being able to ping it just tells you that the IP address is good for the network you are on. It doesn't mean that it is set up properly to talk with the controller or that the DSPLE is set right to talk to the Lantronix, actually.