Allen Bradley ToolKit

Santosh89

Hi All,

I have worked with Siemens Controls with most of my career with software's Step-7 and TIA Portal.
But, Currently i am using Allen Bradley controls (PLC, HMI & VFD's) for the first time for an upcoming project with below mentioned hardwares
CPU: Compact Logix
HMI: PanelView 5510
VFD: PowerFlex 755 Series

With regarding the software tool, i thought of purchasing & using the license.
STUDIO 5000 LOGIX DESIGNER - FULL EDITION

When i get into touch with the Allen Bradley supplier, they insisted me purchase a toolkit version software with yearly subscription.
My question is if we are doing a max. 2-3 projects a year with Allen Bradley controls do we need to have toolkit license instead of full bundled license which will be one time purchase.
Can anybody please explain the pros. & cons., and what exactly a Toolkit software..? i am bit confused with what to opt..?

Regards,
Santhosh

Did they give you a price for each to compare.

I can’t swear by it, but the tool kit will probably be cheaper than a permanent license. I know how much the full edition is, for us at least. I’ve heard rumors on how much the kits are but we’ve never priced one out. I’m interested in hearing what the split is.

A single toolkit subscription was quoted to me at over $5000 USD. I partnered up with a couple of other contractors and a 3-license toolkit was about $7500ish. I program and commission about a AB systems are year so I don't feel I have a choice.

Hi,

They quoted me around $3500-4000 for a year subscription for a single user, and i heard that if we purchase a full license instead of Toolkit we cant access the tech. support, forums and pages etc, if we need to access these we need to pay for TechConnect support separately is that correct..?
So, i thought of purchasing a license software with TechConnect subscription.. so what is you view about this.
As i mentioned the frequency of using AB Controls in our projects is not much, hence i thought of this way.

Regards,

Just to help you understand a little better...

Welcome to the Forum!

It sounds like they are trying to sell you a "Toolkit", while it sounds like the last thing you require is a "Toolkit"?...

Santosh89 said:
...CPU: Compact Logix
HMI: PanelView 5510
VFD: PowerFlex 755 Series

With regarding the software tool, i thought of purchasing & using the license.
STUDIO 5000 LOGIX DESIGNER - FULL EDITION...

If it's unlikely you will have to work on older Allen Bradley controller equipment, requiring RSLogix 5, RSLogix 500 software, etc., and many other legacy equipment types, and will most likely only work on newer Logix 5000 based equipment, such as CompactLogix 53x0, PanelView 5000, etc., then I don't think you need a "Toolkit".

What they are probably referring to here as a "Toolkit" is the option to take out a yearly Subscription for a particular Edition of Studio 5000 software, which "includes" Standard Support (8-5, M-F Phone), and TechConnect services - Software Updates and Knowledgebase. This Subscription also gives you the option to add on RSLogix 5 and RSLogix 500 software packages for programming with legacy controller equipment. This option costs "less" up front, but you must keep paying this amount each year to resubscribe.

If you don't want to go with the newer Subscription based model, and would prefer to go with the older "pay more up front and less each year" model, then I would suggest you consider the "Perpetual with Maintenance" option.

Perpetual with Maintenance will allow you to pay up front for the cost of a single license for whichever Edition of the software package you choose, and also select which Support option you would like to add on, such as Self Support, 8-5, M-F Support, or 24x7 Support. This option also "includes" TechConnect services - Software Updates and Knowledgebase. It does not give you the option to add-on RSLogix 5 and RSLogix 500, creating essentially a "Toolkit".

Note: The "included" options I've mentioned for both above are not actually free, of course. For the Subscription based model, the cost of Support and TechConnect services are somewhere in the Subscription fee. For the Perpetual with Maintenance model, the cost of Support is broken down under the options (<cost>/user/year) and the TechConnect services are basically the "Annual Cost".

I would also suggest you consider purchasing the Professional Edition rather than the Full Edition? There is not much difference between them but Professional will also give you RSLogix Emulate 5000 and RSNetWorx for ControlNet/DeviceNet/EtherNet/IP. The Studio 5000 software suite will do everything you should need to do with the list of equipment you've provided.

Here is an example I've done under my account, which is localized to Ireland, so in Euros (€)...
Studio%205000%20Professional%20Edition%20-%20Perpetual%20With%20Maintenance.jpg

I'm not sure how the cost in Euros fairs against what you have been quoted (in $, not £?), so I won't get into the figures too much. You can see them for yourself as a comparison.

The "One Time Cost" buys you the software/license outright.

Then annually...

The "Annual Cost" is essentially for the ongoing Software Updates and Knowledgebase services.

The Support option "<cost>/user/year" is dependent on the option you choose.

I chose "Studio 5000 PROPS ESD 8x5 Supt", which includes 8-5, M-F Phone Support. But you could go slightly lower and choose the Self Support option "Studio 5000 PROPS ESD Self Supt", which does not include Phone Support.

This is the Cart ready for Checkout...
Studio%205000%20Professional%20Edition%20-%20Perpetual%20With%20Maintenance%20Cart.jpg

Not sure where the extra was added on for the yearly costs? (€233)

EDIT: Just to add the link I've used for the website above...

https://commerce.rockwellautomation.com/rockwell/en/EUR/

I'm not acting as a proponent or opponent of any of these options here. I'm just trying to explain it a little better so you might be able to decide for yourself or understand someone proposing such options to you.

I would definitely agree that you should try talk one-to-one with "someone" that knows these options. But that "someone" needs to be listening to you and your needs and not just trying to sell you an option they are possibly being strong-armed into offering their customers.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
holy ****, I just went to the website you posted to see what it would cost for a replacement to the toolkit. I hope I am misunderstanding this, but just 5000 and 500 would be 14,475 per year for 3 licenses vs like 7500 for the older toolkit. Plus the toolkit included all of the software, not just 5000 and 500.

Last edited: