Inductive University

AustralIan

You guys love Ignition right? Do you think you would be as fond of it if it weren't for the free and good online training? If IU wasn't available, do you think you would have continued to use Ignition after intially taking it for a free test ride? Discuss.
Disclaimer: also huge Ignition / IU fan.

I think the training is fantastic and definitely makes systems integrators wanting to use it and suggest it to clients.
On the other hand, the different licensing model is very attractive for those that hate the rent seeking trend in automation companies and I'm sure it would make the clients push for that solution.

The training is nice, but I didn't actually go through it. Mainly, if I have a question, and a video answers it, I'll watch it. Mostly though, I just keep the manual open, and refer to that at need.

Really, Ignition is pretty simple to use right out of the box, and prior knowledge of FactoryTrash View, WonderWare, Fix32, and other small HMI packages was enough to get going and develop applications.

In short, I'd say that the "Free Training" really didn't matter at all to me.

Free online Ignition training was a genius move by IA, but the product speaks for itself. I started using Ignition before Inductive University existed (v7.7) and the 2 hour demo sold itself to me. Online training is a perk.

Ignition licensing is what separates it from the pack, however licensing costs keep increasing with every new release they come out with. Granted, functionality keeps increasing every year as well.

The 2 hour 100% working demo is what made it work for me.

I was able to build a complete working solution that I then took to my Boss and gave him a demo with real company data. Once he seen how a Scada system could actually benefit the company he said make the purchase.

We've been moving forward ever since.

Indeed, a quality free demonstration makes people watch it and it works both ways, how quickly they catch fire on it, just as quickly they lose interest. But in any case, this is useful.

I was using Ignition well before Inductive University existed, so obviously would have used it without IU. However, IU is just another example to me of IA's commitment to providing value to the users of Ignition. I have now taught myself a couple of additional skills on IU which makes Ignition even more of a value.

I'd been using it since before it was Ignition (FSQL and FPMI circa 2009). I was looking between this and Wonderware at the time. The license per server model even now is much more cost effective than per device / per client / per tag models.

IU was a really nice feather in IA's cap, but I was already long in the tooth when it came along. :rolleyes:

What little I have used it, I love Ignition and so far all the people that work there... The company has a Tesla feel to it. brimming with energy and new ideas.

But I am as sure as I can be that in the next few years they will be shopped out and bought by a larger entity... Schneider probably, and then all the good stuff will die off and it will become... Less attractive.

It just seems that all the great stuff goes that way, and its sad.

If there were no IU, it would still be the best SCADA/HMI package I have used. I use IU frequently because I suffer from CRS. At one time, I was up to almost 60% completed on the courses, then version 8.0 came out and dropped me back to 27%. I am going to try to get certified by year's end.

For me, IU is extremely valuable.

I love the videos. But I only did IU so I could take the core certification test. I find the online help to be all I really ever need. If it’s something python related a Google search is all that’s needed. Ignition is far superior to anything Rockwell has (Need to get my daily RA dig in).

I've been thinking about this and one other thing I thought of was how IU is also a really great marketing tool.

Say I'm looking for a new SCADA package to replace what I have. I am probably aware of the shortcomings of the one I have and I probably want to address these in a new package. Browsing videos on IU give you straight away a very good idea of what is possible and how easy it is to implement.
One that clinched it for me was the ease of implementing dynamic trends... you see the video name, notice it's 5 minutes and think to yourself "5 Minutes!!!!! For something you have to buy a third package from other vendors and pay thousands per node or embark in the joys of developing VBA???"