RsView Messenger - Setting up Email destination Problem

hhuong

Hi All,

I try to send alarm notification through email in RsView32. I think my RsView Messenger Destination is set up correctly and also have MS Outlook installed in my computer. My email destination name is EMAILTEST. When I type MessengerPhrase "Testing e-mail" /dEMAILTEST at the command line, a small screen pop up and say "errorNot Supported". And of course I typed MessengerOn before. I couldn't figure out what I did wrong.

Does anyone experience this kind of problem before? Please help...

Thank you very much!

Herbert

First-up sanity check: can you send an ordinay email between your 2 PC's just using Outlook? If you can't do that then you've got networking/POP3 configurations to sort out before you try using Messenger.

Yes. I can send an email to another email account by using the MS Outlook (MS Outlook is installed in the PC, which have RsView).

My problem is how do I know, when I type MessengerPhrase "Testing e-mail" /dEmailDestinationName at the command line, RsView will direct MS Outlook to send an email notification to the specific email address that I typed at Messenger Destination?

Anyone know where or how can I check whether RsView is talking with MS Outlook?

Appreciate for all the reply. Thanks

I remember running into this problem a couple of years back. Outlook used to send emails thru scripting, but then Microsoft disabled it because of all the viruses that were taking advantage of that ability. You could get it to send one, but then you needed to acknowledge a pop-up. Useless in an unmanned system. Some of the other email programs claimed they could send emails thru scripts, but I went the pager route.

Thanks for your reply, TDMartin!

If MS Outlook no longer able to send email notification for RsView, does anyone know what other email program I can use to send email notification for RsView?

Since RsView Messenger still keep the email notification as one of its feature, I am sure there is one email system that can work. Anyone know about it?

My company use Lotus Notes to send emails among the employees. So, as long as I have Lotus Notes in the PC where RsView is installed, I should be able to send email notification for RsView?

I don't understand that how RsView talk Lotus Notes so that Lotus Notes will send out the email notification? Can anyone explain that or where can I find the related information regarding this question?

There is a thing in Windows called MAPI. This is a set of system libraries (DLLs) that provide basic functionality for e-mail.

All e-mail programs are supposed to understand MAPI requests, however some do it better than the others. One should expect Outlook to be better in that respect since it is also a Microsoft product.

Virtually all programs that send e-mails do it via MAPI function calls. An important part of MAPI functionality is a "profile"; the name of the profile may be found if you right-click on Outlook desktop icon or open "Mail" in Control Panel. By default, Outlook creates profile which is called "Outlook". Details on Notes MAPI support may be found in its documentation.

Mail recepient address should be entered as [email protected]. This is a standard for all e-mail programs and should be understood by them without a problem.

So, I guess only Lotus Note able to send email notification for RsView.

Does anyone have more suggestion or recommendation besides using Lotus Note?
Appreciate all your help.

I just found out some information regarding my problem.

Do I actually have to store the email address, that I have in RsView Messenger Destination, in the MS Outlook? Just curious... Any thought?

You may use UCME-OPC alarm notification software that can connect to RS-View and send email without the need pf any other mail software (Outlook, Lotus Notes etc...). You may also send SMS alerts(Text Messaging) using cellular modems. See www.controlsee.com for more details. A fully functional evaluation version of U.C.ME-OPC can be downloaded.

I heard that with the migration of Rockwell products to FactoryTalk, that the RSMessenger is going away, to be replaced (supported?) by Win911.

You may want to evaluate Win911 to determine if it will fit your needs.

I had to use outlook express. It works fine. MS outlook will not work. Make sure you change the settings to allow external programs to send email.

rwheelerr said:
MS outlook will not work.
I have a system installed using MS Outlook and Exchange Server and it works fine. I did have the issue with the security pop-up window TDMartin mentioned. I used a freeware program called "Clickit" to acknowledge this pop-up. Careful because this could cause security issues as it blindly clicks OK when the pop-up occurs.

I didn't have the problems you are describing but I also didn't type the instruction on the command line. I have mine set-up as alarms. When the alarm is triggered at the PLC, Messenger triggers the e-mail. Have you tried setting up the desired e-mail address as a destination in Messenger and triggering an alarm bit to send it?