Siemens Step 7 Help, Noobie here

gerberz

Hello everyone I am new to Siemens Step 7 and having some issues

I was going to add the a FC to OB1 (Network 28 In Image 1)
But it was asking for this “RET_VAL:=”

I found that I was intending to use a temp bit but ended up making a interface return bit. (see Image 2 for reference)

The issue I am having is I seem to not be able to delete the return bit. I will be using the temp bit instead.
How do I delete this?

Also a second question.

What are the purpose of these “NOP 0” after the “Call FC ##” in OB1?
(Image 1 for Example)

Thanks all!

I'm the only Controls Engineer on my shift. I have 4 years experience with AB and RSlogix but Im new to Siemens. SOO probably gonna be here a lot!
:whistle:

Image 1.jpg Image 2.jpg

Hello everyone I am new to Siemens Step 7 and having some issues

I was going to add the a FC to OB1 (Network 28 In Image 1)
But it was asking for this “RET_VAL:=”

I found that I was intending to use a temp bit but ended up making a interface return bit. (see Image 2 for reference)

The issue I am having is I seem to not be able to delete the return bit. I will be using the temp bit instead.
How do I delete this?

Also a second question.

What are the purpose of these “NOP 0” after the “Call FC ##” in OB1?
(Image 1 for Example)

Thanks all!

I'm the only Controls Engineer on my shift. I have 4 years experience with AB and RSlogix but Im new to Siemens. SOO probably gonna be here a lot!
:whistle:

Try making the return datatype VOID, or something therebouts.

As mk42 suggests, you should be able change the Ret_val data type back to the default to make it no longer required (black instead of red).
Create a new FC and see what is in its Return section, make your data type match.

NOP is an instruction for the compiler to show instructions in Ladder language. It effectively does nothing during the cycle.

If you're in doubt about an instruction, place the cursor on it and press F1. Every Siemens instruction has its own help file, including System blocks and all the blocks in the standard library.

As mk42 suggests, you should be able change the Ret_val data type back to the default to make it no longer required (black instead of red).
Create a new FC and see what is in its Return section, make your data type match.

NOP is an instruction for the compiler to show instructions in Ladder language. It effectively does nothing during the cycle.

If you're in doubt about an instruction, place the cursor on it and press F1. Every Siemens instruction has its own help file, including System blocks and all the blocks in the standard library.

We use NOP in Rslogix also but i dont get why they would use it after each FC call

We use NOP in Rslogix also but i dont get why they would use it after each FC call

It's an instruction for the compiler to display the call as a gray box in LAD. If you delete it the network will not convert from STL to LAD. (Computers need ones and zeroes, humans like pictures)

FCs always have a return value. It is optional, mostly unused from my experience. Some SFCs and some FCs in the standard library use it for error reporting.

Modify your FC so return value is type VOID
Save your FC

Delete the call to your FC in OB1
Save OB1
Insert the call to your FC again
save OB1

I did this earlier and doing so made it so I did not have to put in a value for ret_val, But what i was asking for was how i can delete ret_val found on image2 in the first post.

You can't delete it. If you create a new FC, the data type of ret_val will be blank (which means void).