P&ID Abbreviations (again)

dogleg43

What abbreviation should be used for a solenoid that is mounted remotely from the flow valve it operates.

Example: the flow valve has a tag on it of FV-401A.
Would FX-401A or FY-401A be OK for the solenoid?

What would the solenoid's abbreviation be if the solenoid was attached directly to the valve?

Thanks for your input.

X is unclassified in both first and second position.

Y refers to state, relay, driver, actuator in first and second.

V in second position is valve or damper.

My reference book, Control System Documentation (Mulley, ISA '94) lists FY as a common choice. However FX is OK too. Whichever you use be consistent within the project.

When using ISA tag conventions I have found that it helps to keep in mind that the convention addresses the measured or controlled variable, not the device doing the sensing or control. It doesn't matter if the solenoid is attached directly to the valve or not, but the rules aren't ridgid, esp. if the function is obvious. Combination devices that have both measurement and controlled elements are typically tagged for both on a P&ID, however I've seen plenty of P&IDs where the engineer just went with only a FV-#### tag for the combination because the actuator was implied and obvious. There is no loss of clarity in doing this especially when it reduces clutter on your drawing sheet.

A number of years ago I uploaded an ISA cheat sheet to the forum. You can find a link in this thread
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=269611&postcount=5

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
X is unclassified in both first and second position.

Y refers to state, relay, driver, actuator in first and second, and in the second position is also either unclassified or final control element.

V in second position is valve or damper.

My reference book, Control System Documentation (Mulley, ISA '94) lists FY as a common choice. However FX isn't wrong.

When using ISA tag conventions I have found that it helps to keep in mind that the convention addresses the measured or controlled variable, not the device doing the sensing or control. It doesn't matter if the solenoid is attached directly to the valve or not. Also, combination devices that have both measurement and controlled elements are typically tagged for both on a P&ID.

A number of years ago I uploaded an ISA cheat sheet to the forum. You can find a link in this thread
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=269611&postcount=5

I hope this helps.

Thanks for your detailed response, but it seems like you've provided at least two answers: FY for the solenoid is one but FV could also be used???

If there are going to be two separately mounted device tags it seems like it would be wrong to have an engraved tag "FV-xxx" both at the solenoid and at the actual flow valve. I guess that's what keeps confusing me about process control and P&ID diagrams.

If I have a choice then it the solenoid's engraved tag will be FY-xxx and valve's engraved tag will be FV-xxx.

Thanks again.

If I have a choice then it the solenoid's engraved tag will be FY-xxx and valve's engraved tag will be FV-xxx.

That is how I would do it.

Sorry for the confusion, all I meant was that since the solenoid is attached to the valve and it is of obvious function, I've seen where the engineer will just use FV-xxxx and refer to the valve as a single element device instead of two elements actuator + valve. It gets hazy sometimes. Now imagine a situation where you have a solenoid driving an air valve driving a rotary actuator driving a big butterfly valve and you're trying to tag them o_O

Last edited: