Know a good PC forum ? (not PLC !)

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Obviously there are lots of forums out there.
But can anyone recommend a particular forum for PCs in general ?
(something as simple and still responsive as this one would be nice).

I dont want to bother this forum with something that not even indirectly touches on PLCs.
There is a PC software and hardware section on sps-foren.de, but that site is down at the moment !

VirtualDr Rocks!

I second randylud's suggestion for VirtualDr. I have used it for years and there are a lot of helpful, knowledgeable folks that respond very quickly.

It has a good search feature on the site which helps find previous solutions that may be identical to your problem.

Phils opinion may be need on this one

Personally I think there is too strong a relationship between PLCs and PCs to dismiss this forum as a place to go. With Ethernet, SCADA etc etc being used in the industrial field there are numerous knowledgeable computer people here...NOTE Erics post on "My Computer Now Speaks French".

Even if you use another source to find the answer it may be a problem others have had but could not resolve.

Thanks Mike and Randy,
I have taken a brief look at it, and it looks VERY familiar.
So it has got to be good. :)

edit:
rsdoran,
you are right that I could possibly get the questions answered here. But I am afraid to "waste" my fellow PLC geek's precious time with non-PLC matters.

Last edited:
Jesper,

With all due respect, You already started a thread on this forum....So why not give it a shot? Personally, I have tried other forums for PC problems, but usually get the issue solved by info gathered on this forum..

Oh well,
"VirtualDr" says that an account activation email has been sent, but nothing has arrived so far.
So I will give you guys a chance to show off your expertise (fishing, am I ?):

I have a PC where I cannot "ping" the internal NIC ("Destination host unreachable").

"ipconfig /all" reports
Windows IP configuration:...........
host name: DISA_CIM_01
primary DNS suffix: (empty)
node type: unknown
IP routing enabled: no
WINS proxy enabled: no
Ethernet adapter local area connection:...........
Media state: media disconnected
Description: Intel(R) Pro 1000/CT network connection
Physical address: 00-30-05-7C-7C-81

The network adapter is installed and the driver reports "this device is functioning properly".
TCP/IP is configured with a fixed IP address.
OS is Windows XP Pro SP2.

Ken,
no the listed information is complete. It ends with the physical address.
I have set a fixed IP address with the Control Panel .. Network Connections .. (LAN card) .. Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).

My home computer used to do the same thing. I could conect to other computers but nobody could conect to mine. I'm not sure what I did to make it work but try turning of "simple file sharing". Go to permissions set up permisions for everyone in file sharing. Thats a XP problem. Try to do a search on google. Had a site can't find it no more.