Converting CLX5000 to SLC505 - any shortcuts other than brute force?

robertmee

Lifetime Supporting Member
I know, why bother...If I had my druthers I wouldn't. I have a proven batching application developed and written in CLX, but the newest customer is insisting on SLC. Are there any time saving tricks other than brute re-write to convert over? The CLX program is mostly standard ladder (no STX or FBs).

robertmee said:
I know, why bother...If I had my druthers I wouldn't. I have a proven batching application developed and written in CLX, but the newest customer is insisting on SLC. Are there any time saving tricks other than brute re-write to convert over? The CLX program is mostly standard ladder (no STX or FBs).

Are they insisting on SLC 5/05 because they can support it themselves? If not, give them a Compactlogix and tell them its a newer style SLC 5/05

Can you export the PLC code itself as text file ?
The reason I ask is that a few years ago I worked on a project (PLC5 seies) and the PLC programmer basically created a "subroutine", exported it to a text file then used Mocrosoft Access/Word/Visual Basic to create the rest of the PLC logic based on his tested subroutine. Then he imported the text-file version of teh logic back into PLC. I don't know if SLC and CLX can export/import logic as txt but if they can it may be easier using a text editor to search and replace your CLX text strings with their SLC equivalent.

curlyandshemp said:
Are they insisting on SLC 5/05 because they can support it themselves? If not, give them a Compactlogix and tell them its a newer style SLC 5/05

Yes, that was the initial 'reason' and why they insisted on SLC. The concern was their existing inhouse techs supporting the program. I've since learned that another project that is going in concurrently is using CLX so it really ****es me off. But I can't do anything now as all the installation drawings and such have been completed with 1746 I/O and all PLC parts ordered.

Dua Anjing said:
Can you export the PLC code itself as text file ?
The reason I ask is that a few years ago I worked on a project (PLC5 seies) and the PLC programmer basically created a "subroutine", exported it to a text file then used Mocrosoft Access/Word/Visual Basic to create the rest of the PLC logic based on his tested subroutine. Then he imported the text-file version of teh logic back into PLC. I don't know if SLC and CLX can export/import logic as txt but if they can it may be easier using a text editor to search and replace your CLX text strings with their SLC equivalent.

I've never tried that with CLX but will certainly research it.

I suggest that the first thing you do is create a CSV database import file, using the CLX tag names (as much as possible) as the symbol name, then assign SLC addresses. Then program the SLC using the symbol names. Decide on a standard method of handling CLX tags (such as UDT elements and array elements, etc) that aren't valid SLC symbols, such as using an _ to replace a .

I've uploaded a spreadsheet on a previous post that should help. Fill it out and then import it into the the SLC program and you'll have address symbol names matching your CLX tag names.

See this post for the spreadsheet: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=258185&postcount=5

Once you fill it out, delete the first row and then save it as a CSV, the import the CSV into the SLC database.

One last thing: Inform the customer that there is quite a bit of work involved and that there will be an additional charge.

Alaric said:
I suggest that the first thing you do is create a CSV database import file, using the CLX tag names (as much as possible) as the symbol name, then assign SLC addresses. Then program the SLC using the symbol names. Decide on a standard method of handling CLX tags (such as UDT elements and array elements, etc) that aren't valid SLC symbols, such as using an _ to replace a .

I've uploaded a spreadsheet on a previous post that should help. Fill it out and then import it into the the SLC program and you'll have address symbol names matching your CLX tag names.

See this post for the spreadsheet: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=258185&postcount=5

Once you fill it out, delete the first row and then save it as a CSV, the import the CSV into the SLC database.

One last thing: Inform the customer that there is quite a bit of work involved and that there will be an additional charge.

Thanks for the tips! Especially the last one ;)