DH+ Troubleshooting

The Plc Kid

I need some advice on how to best approach this situation. On one of the old arms of our site we have a lot of older PLC 5 gear that's on DH+ for remote monitoring, programming, Etc.

We have had some crews down there recently doing some demo work on decomissioned equipment and somehow they managed to destroy the DH+ network.

This DH+ network has always had issues as it not wired correctly and I think it has more than 2 resistors on it.

So now I am going to have to help the sparkies trace , fix, label and make a drawing for it because as it stands there has never been anything documented for it.

I would normally use resistors to help ID the cable but I don't know how many resistors are already there or where they are or what value they may be.

I am thinking I am just going to have to find one end and take a Fox/hound and start breakinging it labeling it and fixing and documenting it on a print as I go.

Measuring resistance on it now is giving so reading that are way off from what it should be nwith 2 resistors of the correct value.

Just wanted to if anyone had any better ideas or methods?

Right but I don't know how many are there now nor where they are and I don't know if anything is grounded,etc so I can't trust the resistance readings as they stand.

if there are more than 2 resistors, then you should be able to estimate how many there are.

i don't know what the standard termination value is, but take one value and divide it by 2. if there are only 2 resistors, the number should be approx 1/2 the value of the resistor.

if its 1/3, then there are 3,
if its 1/4, then there are 4.
the value of resistors in parallel is equal to the resistor value / the numbers of resistors.

that is provided they are of the same value.

PS. the cable must be unplugged from the all plc's for this to work

hope this helps,
james

Last edited:
Now I get it - before I didnt.
You want to measure the resistance to identify and diagnose the cabling.
I dont have much experience with that. For crude cable clutter (aka 'spaghetti') analysis, I have before used to remove the resistor at one end of the cable to identify it from the other end.

I would think that you can use an oscilloscope to investigate the waveform. It should be possible to identify problems that way. I have no experience though.

I need some advice on how to best approach this situation. On one of the old arms of our site we have a lot of older PLC 5 gear that's on DH+ for remote monitoring, programming, Etc.

We have had some crews down there recently doing some demo work on decomissioned equipment and somehow they managed to destroy the DH+ network.

This DH+ network has always had issues as it not wired correctly and I think it has more than 2 resistors on it.

So now I am going to have to help the sparkies trace , fix, label and make a drawing for it because as it stands there has never been anything documented for it.

I would normally use resistors to help ID the cable but I don't know how many resistors are already there or where they are or what value they may be.

I am thinking I am just going to have to find one end and take a Fox/hound and start breakinging it labeling it and fixing and documenting it on a print as I go.

Measuring resistance on it now is giving so reading that are way off from what it should be nwith 2 resistors of the correct value.

Just wanted to if anyone had any better ideas or methods?

That for me is the only way to be certain.... and if there already some cable idents - don't believe them, an old network like this may have been modified/re-routed/etc. over the years, and who knows what would have been done.

I would break every joint in the network, and identify each segment by shorting the signal wires at one end, and using an ohm-meter to find the other end. Repeat as necessary.

Some important info that may assist you...

There are two options for cabling a Data Highway Plus network. Using daisy chaining from node to node, or using a Trunkline with Droplines from Station Connectors.

The quick and easy way is daisy chaining and by the sounds of what you're saying they used the easier way on this one?
Nothing wrong with it if it's done right. DH+ is quiet robust when installed correctly.

Either way, they should have used Belden 9463 Twinaxial cable, which has a Blue, Clear, and Drain wire.

At each end of the network, where there should be a single cable, whether it's terminated at a PLC-5 from daisy chaining, or at the end of the Trunkline in a Station Connector, there should be a 150ohm terminating resistor across the Blue and Clear conductors.

Now to test those resistances.

There is no point in measuring the network as it is with all the nodes connected, as I think you have been doing?

Go to each node on the network and plug off the DH+ cable. If daisy chained this will most likely be the 3-pin connector on the PLC-5 which should have two network cables in each, except the end of line nodes. Take note as you disconnect that each has two cables, and only two, and there are two end of line single cables, and only two. Just in case someone had incorrectly decided to add a spur leaving three cables at one node and possibly added another terminating resistor at the end of the spur.

If you go to any point on the network where you have your Blue and Clear conductors, still connected in their plugs, you should measure somewhere in between 75 - 125ohms, give or take depending on segment lengths. Also the cable, whether the proper Belden or not, will have some impedance of its own. Typically 1ohm/100feet.

If your resistance readings fall outside that range, you will then have start moving your resistors closer together on the network, disconnecting segments beyond them, until you have eliminated the segment of cable that is causing the problem. It may be a short if they've damaged a cable, or high impedance if they've added something incorrectly.

Do you know if they actually did any work on this network or is this fault just an indirect result of their activities?

Also important to note: Some DH+ interface modules have built in terminating resistors which can be turned on or off depending on where they are placed in the network. If you can't find any extra cabling or resistance that you think shouldn't be on the network just bear this in mind as you identify the devices on the network.

Happy hunting!

G.

There are two options for cabling a Data Highway Plus network. Using daisy chaining from node to node, or using a Trunkline with Droplines from Station Connectors.

The quick and easy way is daisy chaining and by the sounds of what you're saying they used the easier way on this one?
Nothing wrong with it if it's done right. DH+ is quiet robust when installed correctly.
The way you write that makes it sound as if daisy-chaining is less 'proper' than trunkline+droplines.
I am pretty certain that daisy-chaining is the most proper way to setup a DH+ network.
I remember way back that for installations with DH+ problems, AB recommended removing the 'grey terminal boxes' that was used to insert droplines in a DH+ network and convert to 100% daisy-chain.

Take a laptop and plug it into the DH+ network at different points in the network and using RSLinx note which nodes are active at each location.
In my experience I have often found that I have been UNable to see past an added resistor in the middle of a network but have seen the longest cable run to its terminating resistor withno problem.

Also if you run RSLogix note how fast the ladder turns on to active nodes a very slow connection at one point and faster at others could indicate lack of a resistor, broken wire or a wire whisker causing a short, also sleeve off the bare wire so they can't inadvertently touch other wires.

No guarantee any of this info will work for you, its just my observations that have worked for me

I will also throw my hat in the corner that says daisy chain the network for best speed and most reliable network.

I like Dabas approach. Break every connection twist the conductors together and start ringing. At the end of it you will know exactly what is there.

In my experience DH+ is about the most stout network there is, you really have to work to screw it up to the point it doesn't work anymore. I think I have seen just about every wrong thing that you can do wrong with a DH+ network. Tree topology, wrong/no resistors etc... somehow it generally still works. The first thing I do whenever called to any DH+ problem is check every single phoenix connector on the network. About 90% of the time one of the connectors is the problem.

Well I was trying to find a more elegant solution but I went with my initial approach (Daba Confirmed it)and I have been trying to work on it in between 20 other things but I have about 25% of it done and I have already found 4 extra resistors and 1 spur.

JesperMP said:
Geospark said:

JesperMP said:
The way you write that makes it sound as if daisy-chaining is less 'proper' than trunkline+droplines.
I am pretty certain that daisy-chaining is the most proper way to setup a DH+ network...

Yeah I can see how it sort of reads that way looking back Jesper, but I actually meant quite the opposite. I probably just didn't word it too well?

I was simply trying to deduce which method they were most likely to have used here based on the fact that it sounds like it wasn't installed that well. I reckoned they used the easier way of Daisy Chaining out of convenience, more so than them thinking it would prove to be the more reliable method in the long run. That's why I then made sure to point out that just because I'm calling it the "quick and easy way" does not mean I'm saying it's no good. Again, when installed correctly, DH+ is a very robust network. A colleague of mine often calls it "bomb-proof". Sorry for the confusion.

The Plc Kid said:
...I have about 25% of it done and I have already found 4 extra resistors and 1 spur.

After reading your latest update, they definitely didn't install it well, or, it grew legs over the years. 4 extra resistors & 1 spur and you're only quarter way there. Those spurs are notorious, as it's just too tempting to run a single cable from a mid position on the network to an added node. Then they try to redeem themselves for doing so by adding extra resistors on that spur, thinking that will make it ok. I've even seen installations that had a resistor in each Phoenix plug on the network.

The network can usually continue to function somewhat, but spurs or bad terminating resistances will from time to time give you certain issues, like lost packets, timeouts, nodes temporarily dropping off the network, etc.

JesperMP said:
...I remember way back that for installations with DH+ problems, AB recommended removing the 'grey terminal boxes' that was used to insert droplines in a DH+ network and convert to 100% daisy-chain.

One reason why the quick and easy way of daisy chaining is the better method, is it eliminates a lot of the extra terminations involved in the Trunkline/Dropline method.

The Station Connector(1770-SC), or 'Grey Box", is basically a heavy gauge steel junction box. It has a strip of five standard run-of-the-mill PVC connectors screwed to the back of the box. Depending on where these boxes were mounted in plants, the connectors or box itself could corrode, giving high impedance. Poor termination to begin with without testing the network was often a cause of issues. They'd just fire up the network and it "worked". But loose connections, cable braiding, foil or drain wires touching each other or the steel box could cause issues. The flying earth lead from the box might not have been grounded properly, or at all, or the drain wire series capacitor was missing or looped out.

Another type of Connector was the 1770-XG. These were even trickier. This was a Connector Kit which gave you various plugs for different interface devices. You used a T-Connector to join the two Trunklines and the Dropline together and you had to solder on male and female BNC type plugs. While usually only intended for quick disconnection at a node to connect on a programmer or such, I have come across them just hung in mid air or clipped to a wall or cable-tray with no mechanical protection and no grounding at all. It was rare to see them though. Those plugs were slow to make off and had to be done right.

If someone plugged of a Dropline from a node, it could act like an antenna attracting noise. Whereas, if you plugged off the daisy chained plug from a node, not so. Each Grey Box had to be counted as a node, even if no Dropline was connected to it so this restricted the number of possible nodes. If you had 20 nodes with 20 Station Connectors, and 5 Station Connectors with no nodes connected, that counts as 45 nodes of the total 64 used up.

These were some of the reasons why AB recommended ditching the connectors/boxes and using daisy chaining instead.

A company I once contracted to some years ago sent me on an AB training course for all Data Highway networks, DH, DH+, DH-485, DH II. It was very useful and I still have the need to call on that knowledge, even up to recently when I commissioned an old DH+ and DH-485 network that was moved from one country to another with some machinery.

I had a couple of problems on that job that I'd like to share in case it happens someone else.

Problem 1. A DHRIO box was dropping off the network every once in awhile. It was picked up because a signal that should come on at certain times was not, so I watched it for timeouts or retry attempts and sure enough it was taking a couple of attempts to go through, or sometimes would timeout. As it was an end-of-line node, I checked the resistor and a 150ohm had been installed. The contract electricians had put 150ohm at both ends as the baud rate is set 57.6K. This would normally be the correct setup for this baud rate. But a little known fact is that if your DHRIO is installed as an end-of-line node, while on a 57.6K baud network, it actually performs correctly when an 82ohm resistor is used. It's just another little anomaly that exists, but you have to know about it to solve it. That course taught me that one.

Problem 2. The DH-485 network would crash around 7pm every evening when turning off the laptop and wrapping up to go back to the hotel. After plugging everything out and getting the nodes back up one at a time, the network would crash again within minutes? I eventually realized that my 1747-UIC was still plugged into the DH-485 port of the 1747-AIC Link Coupler at one of the nodes that I was using to connect to the network. Even though the USB lead was plugged out of my laptop and the UIC was dead, the network didn't like something inside it when not powered up. I unplugged it and the network recovered. I went to another AIC at another node and plugged in the dead UIC and it pulled it down again! I had three UIC's to hand and tried them all, they all did the same thing. That's why it was happening every evening as I was packing up. I now had to plug out the cable from the AIC while the UIC was still powered on from the laptop before unplugging the USB lead.

It may just happen when connected to AIC Link Couplers, not sure. I'm assuming there must be an impedance in the UIC while it's powered off that pulls the network down? I would have thought there are UIC's left connected, while dead, to DH networks all over the globe? Could this possibly affect all DH networks? Maybe someone else could try if they have a similar network to hand?

The UIC is a SER A REV D FRN 1.3 using the RS-485(DH-485) port with a 1747-C13 SER B cable.

Here's a checklist I made from that course for Data Highway issues and from dealings with AB over the years:

Are you using the recommended Belden cable?
i.e. 9643 twinaxial.

What baud rate is the network set for?
i.e. 57.2K, 115.2K, or 230.2K baud

Are you using the correct terminating resistors for that baud rate?
i.e. 150ohm 1/4 watt for daisy chain @57.6K - 115.2K baud
150ohm 1/2 watt for Trunk/Drop @57.6K - 115.2K baud
82ohm for 230.4K baud
82ohm for DHRIO @57.6K - 230.4K baud

Is the installation clean?
i.e. No short, open, or high impedance circuits.

Are you using daisy chain or Trunk/Drop, but not a mixture of the two?

Are there any star connections(spurs)?

Have you checked the wiring?
i.e. Blue, Clear and Drain not mixed up anywhere?

Are your cable lengths within spec?
i.e. Trunks not over 10,000ft, Drops 10-100ft.
If Daisy Chaining, loops under 10ft should be avoided, such as 2 nodes in 1 enclosure. These can cause signal reflections.

Are the cable routes segregated properly from any potential sources of electrical noise?

Only after all these check out ok, with exception to the last question, would I then consider analyzing the network with a scope or protocol analyzer.

G.

Well I was trying to find a more elegant solution but I went with my initial approach (Daba Confirmed it)and I have been trying to work on it in between 20 other things but I have about 25% of it done and I have already found 4 extra resistors and 1 spur.

You are doing what in the end is the one that will give the best long term result it just takes what seems like a long time to sort out