Bottle line

Joseca

[OSR] Using BSL instructions
When working on rslogix.pro lab (bottle line simulation). Lab exercises 1,2,3,4 worked fine. However, when putting 3 and 4 together the bit shift is been triggered twice. is this normal when using [OSR] instructions along with BSL files. example
File B3:4, control R6:1, Bit address I:1/7 length 32. used bit is [OSR] B3:4/8. when target bit is hit works fine on data table but the animation does not it drops two bottles instead of desire one.
Also noticed the [OSR] BSL file ignores ones and turns zeros to ones as they hit the B3:4/8 target while shifting at every scan. This is working opposite of expectations to my understanding.
any help will be appreciated

Last edited:
Ah I see your current thread now, I replied to one of your (new) posts in an old thread, you can ignore my part about starting a new thread since it seems you are already ahead of me. :)

Bottle programs?

I have attached what I think to be my bottle programs from school. They may not be I don't know I can't open them I no longer have access to the program. In the case that there is any obscenities in the program I apologize my class went off on a "How bad can we name stuff" tangent for a few months I don't know if this falls into that time period.

Even if these are bottle programs I can't guarantee what you need is in them, can't remember what the instructor had us do, but hope it helps.

Thank you for your rply. DL.
I also took PLC courses at local comm. collg. However, we did not work with LogixPro.
By the way I too did most of the Lpro labs if you want to compare or share I'll be happy.
I'm new usingn this site, still working on how to download and upload files. Perhaps you can couch me here.
Thank you again

They may not be I don't know I can't open them I no longer have access to the program.
Yes, you do. Get the LogixPro software (RSLogix 500 simulator program) at TheLearningPit.com

http://www.thelearningpit.com/

Even if these are bottle programs I can't guarantee what you need is in them,
The third set Lab 6b has 2 LogixPro Bottle Line programs. "Bottles_2 is a solution for the official LogixPro Exercise 5. "Bottles_3" is the LogixPro Exercise 6 using 2 BSR instructions. It has no symbols or rung comments, so it is not very useful for a beginner. These 2 programs only fill the scrap box about 50% full, a violation of the earlier Exercise 3 instruction (quoted below for educational purposes as allowed by copyright law):
The cost of providing cardboard boxes can be significant over time. For this reason it is essential that you fill each box to it's maximum capacity, and do so without spillage. Since a small bottle only produces 2/3 as much ground glass as a large bottle, you will have to adjust for this difference in your program logic.
Using 2 GEQ comparison instructions and a few other bits, it is possible to always fill the scrap boxes to at least 95%, and to 100% in many boxes (depending on the ratio of Small-to-Large broken bottles).

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yes, you do. Get the LogixPro software (RSLogix 500 simulator program) at TheLearningPit.com

Forgot it was free software only really used it in school

The third set Lab 6b has 2 LogixPro Bottle Line programs. "Bottles_2 is a solution for the official LogixPro Exercise 5. "Bottles_3" is the LogixPro Exercise 6 using 2 BSR instructions. It has no symbols or rung comments, so it is not very useful for a beginner. These 2 programs only fill the scrap box about 50% full, a violation of the earlier Exercise 3 instruction (quoted below for educational purposes as allowed by copyright law)

Yeah there files we used had or made in class. It was all run in a VM that was set up to only save and store to a thumb drive or other USB means, some of my work never got saved, didn't save right (its save was not reliable), and just I don't remember exactly what any of the files were or what all we were asked to do. The stuff I did do was just a blur anyways I would get 3-4 labs ahead not show up for a couple of days till people caught up then show up do three or 4 more and repeat.

I have attached what I think to be my bottle programs from school. They may not be I don't know I can't open them I no longer have access to the program. In the case that there is any obscenities in the program I apologize my class went off on a "How bad can we name stuff" tangent for a few months I don't know if this falls into that time period.

Even if these are bottle programs I can't guarantee what you need is in them, can't remember what the instructor had us do, but hope it helps.

Thank you for letting me see your files. I was able to open them up. they look a bit different than mine. I was trying to use basic relay type instructions. (no timers) for latching as possible. I was able to run only one so far, for some reason I could not run some. I need to look over on them.
Question how did you post these files in your threads

Valid file extensions: bmp doc dwg dxf gif jpeg jpg pdf plc png ppt psd txt xls zip

The list above are the only types of files you can attach. If you have a file of another type you should put it into a "Compressed folder" which will make it a .zip file that can be attached to posts

My file is in LogixPro.rsl. I tried, but keep getting invalid file, even though is within size. (still working on it).
How many ways must we tell you this?

You can NOT post a LogixPro RSL file. You must first change it into a ZIP file. You can use the Windows compression program, or you can use a program such as WinZip to compress and change your LogixPro file into a ZIP type file.

Read the detailed directions that I posted in thread # 78821, "How to Post an Attachment to Your Message".

Last edited:
Using 2 GEQ comparison instructions and a few other bits, it is possible to always fill the scrap boxes to at least 95%, and to 100% in many boxes (depending on the ratio of Small-to-Large broken bottles).

I do vaguely remember doing the box fill part, the guy who sat next to me had trouble with it and kept trying to get me to do his.

If those later programs do not have that segment of code that may have been one that didn't get saved properly for whatever reason, it was probably already was checked off (I was quick at getting the instructor to me anytime I finished a exercise), so I am guessing just never repeated that part of the logic.

got it Thank you all
Here are the files I was talking about DLweber and Lancie1
I have to say that in the 10-plus years that I have been helping people with the LogixPro Bottle Line exercises, you are the very FIRST that I have seen use 6 BSLs! (If 3 are good, then 6 must be extra-good, right?)

Really, 3 BSLs are all you will ever need for this problem. If you can't do the Bottle Line exercises with 3 BSLs, then adding 3 more will not help you. First, you must understand how the BSL works. Then you will know that you only need 3. Work that out first until you know WHY you only need 3 BSLs, then get rid of the B3:8, B3:9, and B3:10 BSLs in your "Botle ex4 small and large bottle fill...." on Rung 002.

Again read my post from the other thread (copied below).
You should use only 3 BSL instructions for the entire program. Any more BSLs will only confuse you and make it more difficult. Each BSL and BSR can show 2 bits of information for EACH bottle. Here is the way to use your 3 BSL instructions:

BSL for File #B3:2 = Bottle Positions on the Conveyor (0 = no bottle, 1 = bottle at that bit position);
BSL for File #B3:4 = Large/Small Bottles (0 = Small, 1 = Large);
BSL for File #B3:6 = Unbroken/Broken Bottles (0 = Not Broken, 1 = Broken)

BSL 8,9,and 10 were created to produce a bit used in sorting broken and later enable solenoids trough the shifting bit and [OSR] commands
The above quote from your Rung 002 comment seems to mean that you think that your BSLs are only producing 1 (ONE) bit. Actually each BSL produces many bits, where each bit is either 0 or 1, depending on the state of the bottle. Until you assign each BSL a FUNCTION, and understand how that function is to be achieved, you will continue to wander around in the forest of bits....

Last edited:
For your "Botle Boxing" program, your Rung 009 with 11 rung branches and 22 comparisons is way too complicated, but still it does not maximize the amount of broken glass going into each scrap box. As in many programming applications, the key is to recognize that you need a simple way to compare the total of 2 unequal items. So first you create a value ("BROKEN GLASS" in N7:2) that is composed of both the Small and Large Broken bottles. You cannot just add them together because the small is only 2/3 the quantity of the large (or Large = 1.5 times the Small). Because your LogixPro (and the Allen Bradley SLC 5/02 that it simulates) does not have Floating-Point decimal numbers, you cannot divide by 0.6666 and you cannot multiply by 1.5. You must multiply your Small and Large multipliers (1 and 1.5) by 10 to come up with an integer value for the broken glass.

The attached picture shows a way to compute the broken glass, then use only 2 comparisons to always fill the scrap box to 93.5% or 100% full.

The other B3:7/x bits on the rung determine if the next broken bottle is large AND if the box already contains "145" units or more of glass. If so, the box must be moved because the incoming large broken (= 15 units) will overfill (145 + 15 = 160). A full box contains exactly 155 units. If the box only has 145 and the next is a small broken bottle, no problem, it will fit in exactly, so do not move the box and it will fill to 100%.

On the second lower rung, if the box already EQuals 150 units, then it cannot contain even another small bottle (150 + 10 = 160). A full box contains exactly 155 units.

Bottle Line Ex 5 Scrap Conveyor.JPG

Last edited: