PCM301 Firmware Update

JEngineer

I am currently using TERMF to communicate with the GE Fanuc PCM301 but it refuses to establish communication because the PCM is of a lower firmware version. I do not have access to PCOP software so I was wondering where I could get the firmware update for the PCM to enable me to use TERMF.

Thanks in advance.

The firmware for that module is an EPROM chip. You upgrade by installing a newer one.

I'm not so sure about your belief that the failure of TERMF to communicate is due to the firmware. My recollection is that TERMF has always been an option. What is it that makes you think firmware is the source of your problem?

Hey, thank you for the fast response.

PCMs with firmware version 2.04 and earlier do not respond to TERMF you can only use PCOP which I don't have access to.

I found out the firmware version of my PCM by selecting BAS/CCM and loading it onto the controller and on the fault tables, it said Unsupported feature in configuration which is a tell for a firmware lower than 2.04 which doesn't support BAS/CCM configuration.

The GE site had the firmware update files on its support page but I can't seem to find them on their site. So I'd appreciate any help given.

As I said before, upgrading the firmware on that module involves installing a new EPROM.

If you pull the two circuit boards out of the plastic case and separate them you can read the firmware version from the EPROM chip.

Lack of support for the BAS/CCM configuration option doesn't necessarily rule out TERMF communication. The earliest manuals I have, which date back to 1991 all mention TERMF, and the product was introduced in 1990.

I have been using the PCM manual to help in troubleshooting and that's where I got the BAS/CCM config and TERMF conclusion from.

I can think of a number of additional reasons why the PCM301 would not respond to TERMF. It could be due to an incorrect cable or port parameter mismatch. What operating system are you running TERMF on? Does the computer have a real serial port or a USB/serial converter? If the the latter, are you sure it is configured as the same COM port number as TERMF is trying to use? When you try to send a command from TERMF to the PCM301, do any of the LEDs on the PCM301 module blink? Have you performed a hard reset of the PCM301 before trying to send TERMF commands?

The specific 2.04 firmware message is troubling to me because the data sheet GFK-0495T for PCM301 firmware version 3.03 dated February 1994 mentions compatibility with PCOP version 2.04. I don't know whether PCM301 firmware and PCOP version levels were ever synchronized. I'm looking through some older CDs to see if I can find release notes for any PCM301 updates earlier than 3.03.

Send me an PM with your email address. I can send you PCOP. I think you'll need a 32-bit OS to be able to use it. If I need to use Logicmaster to communicate with a 90-30 I have to run it in DOSBox on a 32-bit XP virtual machine. PCOP is of the same vintage as Logicmaster.

Hey, I apologize for the delayed response...

I made sure to change the baud rate from 19200 to 9600 on TERMSET to match that of my serial port. I tested my serial ports and cables using a terminal emulator to ensure that they weren't the problem.

I am using a real serial port, I've found the adapters to be problematic so I prefer to use the real serial port. I'm running TERMF on Windows 10.

When I try to type on TERMF, none of the characters are displayed.... I did reset the PCM, by pressing the reset button for 10 seconds which was successful since it was displayed on the fault table as a reset module on the PCM slot position. I also took out the battery and shorted the power and ground terminal.

The TERMF I have is not a separate software, it's a utility of Proficy Machine Edition. You have to launch it from command prompt after navigating to the installation folder.

I would really appreciate it if you sent me the PCOP software and Logicmaster software if you don't mind. I do have access to a 32 bit OS workstation.