Tips for downloading all versions of RSLogix 5000 and Studio 5000.

{.Net Framework/SQL Server} is a nightmare when trying to go from current to legacy. Oldest -> Newest is probably the only way to get them all on one machine. Perhaps having each on it's own VM would work, it's not worth the hassle.

Well, here on Oct. 27, 2022, I'm going to recommend a slightly different approach than any of these given so far. I have versions 13, 19, 20, 30, 31, and 32 installed on my PC. The reason for this unique solution is that Rockwell changed their license validation scheme a while back and the new one breaks more easily.

What I have found is that if you install an older one with the older validation method, the new validation method doesn't install. So, for this reason, I install version 20 first, and then go from newest to oldest (to avoid re-installing all of the components over the top of each other). Going from newest to oldest turned a job that used to take more than a day into one that takes 3 hours or less.

That's certainly contrary to their guidance but makes some sense. I went the other direction over time like most of us have and I find that I can still use studio V34 using a green dongle for licensing and that's not supposed to work. I'll bet going your direction that edge case most certainly wouldn't work.

It's quite a coincidence that this topic was revisited. Yesterday, I flashed an L71S from v20 to v34, and needed to download that version of Studio 5000. As I drilled into the extras listed, I saw the multi-version for the first time... it was something like v30 - v34. I downloaded both the single version and the multi, but installed just the multi on a new Windows 10 VM. I've never seen the multi version before that moment. It took a long time to install, but I didn't have to touch the laptop anymore once it started.

I don't have the very early versions because I can't overcome the license activation issue, pre-Factory Talk. I had a customer that had v10 on a machine they purchased second-hand. They needed me to re-do some of the program, but I couldn't figure out how to install that version without the old disk activation.

I am running V10.07.00 on Windows 10 right now. That has no issue connecting with my license server automatically. It could be because I installed V10 first, then V16, and so on. This is a fresh install, about three days ago. I know I have installed V10 before, and it wouldn't run on anything but WinXP. I don't remember the minor revision, but even then it didn't have a problem grabbing my license through FTActivation Manager.

Perhaps a VM with a fresh set of installs will do what you need. I use my host as my license server, with no other Rockwell software installed on it.

My setup is similar to MikeyN's, Win10 host with several VMs. The last few times I had to set up a new PC, I had to contact Rockwell to sort out the activation, but my one license activates v10-20 on a WinXP guest, v10-32 on a Win7 guest, and v24-34 on a Win10 guest. I would not install above v30 on Win7, though. When I did that, it slowed way down when opening the software on first boot up. Like 5-10 minutes to open it. Once past that point, it opens fine so I've just been suspending the VM.

I will share my thoughts and experiences, take what you will. I have everything from v6 to v34 installed on my Windows 10 workstation (aside from a couple versions that rockwell skipped) and a couple older versions that are not available for download from rockwell. I ALWAYS install everything from the newest to the oldest, I have seen people recommend against this, I have seen rockwell recommend against this, I have never seen any issue from this.

There is an old installer for v20 that installs v20 to v15 somewhere, it was the only one that worked for getting the correct dotnet 1.0 on the machine. I normally install with single versions because when they fail it is less time wasted, but for older things going with multi version can get you to where you need.

I do my licensing from the factorytalk license server, and am running the latest version of FTActivation server and client with no issues. The old version pick up their license without problem.

I will say, normally no one will need to have all the versions installed. It is painful and unnecessary unless you have a massive install base with every version in it (sigh). Personally I think time would be better spent coordinating with operations on getting times to do firmware upgrades rather than getting every version installed.

I have up to v20.1 on a VMware running Professional, I need to get a new laptop since mine is 10+ and the host has to much on it. I have been paying for Tech Support for 22
years and have never updated my software to any of the newer versions. I also have Factory Talk ME along with RS500 & RS5 and others. I moved everything to a VM 10+
ago because at that time my Factory Talk didn't like windows 10 and Rockwell was having issues. How do I go about moving my license for all of my software to a new VM once I get a new laptop and install a new VM? Can they all be in one VM or do I still need the XP for older versions. Will the license work between 2 VM's or what?
Should I consult Rockwell since I am paying for Tech Support. I read hear the Licenses have changed.

They have indeed changed some of their licensing procedures...but...you should be able to move to a new PC pretty easily. I've had older versions of RSLogix 5000 installed on newer PCs where I could use the software offline but it would crash/fail somehow (don't remember details) when going online with the controller. I now always maintain the software inside a virtual machine with the license hosted on the main PC. The activation manager is the only automation software installed on the main PC. The license manager on each VM connects to the one on the host PC to borrow licenses as needed. It's always been seamless for me with the only issue being the need to contact AB to re-host the license to a new PC. You're not supposed to need to, and early on I didn't, but the last couple if times I've had to contact them to get the right version of the license file so it activates the old and new versions. That's only an issue for the RSLogix/Studio 5000 software. FT View Studio and RSLogix 5 and 500 just work.

Edit to add:
Activations support is free, so you can contact them for support without a support contract.

Thank you for the reply, I will pick up a new laptop. Do you have everything on the same VM and what operating system do you use for your VM

I have 5 or so VMs:
1) Windows XP SP3 for oldest versions of RSLogix 5000, TCP/QuickPanel
2) Windows 7 32 bit for older version of FT View Studio
3) Windows 7 64 bit for newer version of FT View Studio (with VMs holding other versions backed up). I'm currently using v11.

4) Windows 10 for newest versions of Studio 5000 and RSLogix 500. I'm currently using up to v34 of Studio 5000.

Where do you purchase you OS from I look online and windows 10 is anywhere from
$12 to $150 Best Buy is $140 Are these download sites legit.

Do you have a link for this multiversion download?

This is the best time to download the multiversion to save time. It covers all supported versions between V21-32 in one file.

The versions do play well together, as long as they are installed in ascending order. Once you are done with up to V32, install 33, then install the patch rollup. You should be good.

Do you have a link for this multiversion download?

There are no links for it. Rockwell generates the link when you enter your licensing details and initiate a download.

To get the multiversion, you have to navigate to the [+] icon denoting additional downloads, then download it.