Today’s PLC’s

Yes. A Rockwell Automation sales person can tell you all about PLCs, though they like to call them PACs (programmable automation controllers) these days.

Some guys here have PLC's controlling stuff at their homes...

You can also use it to enforce interlocks... which isn't necessarily automation. Short of that, automation and robotics are such large areas that is quite hard to say anything more.

Obsolete models become door stops.

But seriously, the topic of "automation" is huge. Everything from controlling a building's lighting system to portable versions in special vehicles. Basically anything that can be "automated" with the right sensors and actuators is a candidate for a PLC.

Hmmm.
I recently used one to make "the worlds most expensive doorbell".
'They' wanted to activate the existing alarms, and run a bell for
about seven seconds after the button is pushed and a strobe light
for thirty minutes - or until the door is opened. (Door open resets
all the lights and bells to 'off'.)
Poet.

I have an old micrologix1000 sitting on my desk. I use the output indicators as a clock now. The loud click tells me that the hour just changed.

You can use them anyway you can imagine: paper weight, anchor, door stop (already mentioned),... If your imagination is limited so is their use ...
And yes, you can even automate things with them.

well, for one thing, they can make beer!

What more do we need?!

My buddy wants me to help him set up some of my old junk for his home brewing process. It got me thinking tracking the inventory of bottles I have in my own collection, which could in turn help him keep track of expirations, brew dates, etc of his equipment. But then we just drink beer and forget about work 🍻

I have a SLC 5/05 in my race car. It's a 68 GTO with a bored and stroked 455 and custom built fuel injection cranking out 550HP to the rear wheels. It has a T56 dual overdrive transmission with a 2.56 rear gear. I run it in road rallies like the Silver State Classic https://sscc.us/
There is a prox switch on the drive shave going to a HSCE card for the actual speed. Then the engine RPM is also going to the HSCE for exact RPM. Then I have analog air pressure sensors in the front, engine compartment, under the car and at the rear above and below the wing. Then the wing is adjustable from the touch screen to 2 linear servos controlled by the SLC. Then there are ride level sensors in the front and back. The back ones allow me to control the air bag settings to raise or lower the back to adjust the pitch of the car going down the road. Very important when your going 180mph+ in a car shaped like a brick. It also controls the door locks, electric windows and the AC temperature. Gotta have AC when your driving in the dessert in a 5 layer fire suit, neck brace and helmet. I am also using the serial port to poll data from the fuel injection computer so I can display real time air/fuel mixture and fuel consumption. My next goal is to use the SLC to make a sort of cruse control, but it will adjust the speed in the last 2 miles so I cross the finish line at exactly the average speed for the distance for the class I am entered in.

I have a SLC 5/05 in my race car. It's a 68 GTO with a bored and stroked 455 and custom built fuel injection cranking out 550HP to the rear wheels. It has a T56 dual overdrive transmission with a 2.56 rear gear. I run it in road rallies like the Silver State Classic https://sscc.us/
There is a prox switch on the drive shave going to a HSCE card for the actual speed. Then the engine RPM is also going to the HSCE for exact RPM. Then I have analog air pressure sensors in the front, engine compartment, under the car and at the rear above and below the wing. Then the wing is adjustable from the touch screen to 2 linear servos controlled by the SLC. Then there are ride level sensors in the front and back. The back ones allow me to control the air bag settings to raise or lower the back to adjust the pitch of the car going down the road. Very important when your going 180mph+ in a car shaped like a brick. It also controls the door locks, electric windows and the AC temperature. Gotta have AC when your driving in the dessert in a 5 layer fire suit, neck brace and helmet. I am also using the serial port to poll data from the fuel injection computer so I can display real time air/fuel mixture and fuel consumption. My next goal is to use the SLC to make a sort of cruse control, but it will adjust the speed in the last 2 miles so I cross the finish line at exactly the average speed for the distance for the class I am entered in.

This is F*$#*ING COOL MAN! I run a 500 H.P. Stroked 383 in a 79 C10 and often think about using a PLC to gather the analog signals. Temp, oil press, fan control ect. I had never even thought about getting RPM from the drive shaft. My OEM speedo doesn't work so it could be a good solution to give me a speed. Until the tires get burned off!!! That change in diameter is probably enough to throw off the speed calculation.
Last winter I built the truck, this winter I want to refine it with things like this!
Awesome idea.

I'm curious what you use for an HMI that looks cool enough to land itself in a car like that.... Or is kind of hidden somewhere? I wouldn't want a PV800 sticking out of my dash, just doesn't have the flashy graphics I would want to see, perhaps just keep it on a dark screen saver or something to have a dark look.

Just to ad to the OP's question. Just one i thought of. PLC plays a huge part in agriculture. Controlling things like irrigation and greenhouses!

Last edited: