proface touch screens

jimcav

I have been using proface screen for a while but programing then with quick designer, which works fine. Well proface came out with a new unit called st401, nice little screen. The only software that can progran this is gp/pro, that i know of, any others out there?

Thanks

Jimcav

I believe you are correct, GP/PRO is the only one that will work. I've seen a demo of the ST panel and it looks like a good value but I am not impressed with the GP/PRO software. I used a trial version for awhile and it seems very clunky--a poor Windows port of a DOS program that's been around for ages.

Xycom just released Pro-Designer, another programming package with a much better interface IMHO, but I don't think it works with the ST panels.

I was talking to our Xycom rep last week and he mentioned that they plan to release an upgraded version of GP/PRO early next year, called GP/PRO EX, that supposedly fixes the interface issues.

-John

GP/PRO and Pro-Designer are one in the same. QuickDesigner was a simplified program developed for the American market. Pro-face are releasing a new generation of touchpanels (GP3000 series), which has new programming software. Whether this software will be compatible with ST panels, I don't know. But it might be worth checking it out because it might eventually replace GP/Pro-Designer. Check Pro-Face's website for more detail.

ushidayo said:
GP/PRO and Pro-Designer are one in the same. QuickDesigner was a simplified program developed for the American market.

Is that so? I have always thought that QuickDesigner was originally developed by then Total Control Products, then inherited by GE Fanuc and then by Xycom/Pro-face.

Granted, the hardware has always been Pro-face. But Quickdesigner and GP/Pro are so different in everything, from the concept to addressing to user intrface...

BTW, a word of caution: if you used to store your application into the panel with QD so it can be uploaded back, just in case, Pro-Designer may disappoint you. There is no way in the world to recover the compiled work once it has been downloaded. So if you original application file is gone, you are screwed. Back up often!