Problem with DirectSoft

RDay

Has anyone else had this problem with DS32? I am currently experiencing this problem with a program on a DL05 but I have had this happen to me several times with a 06 as well.

With a program loaded and running in the PLC. If I select a coil, say C100, then press the "Value" button. I get the "Change Value" box but it is not complete. The "Write To" and "Read From" PLC buttons are faded out, the "Current" and "New" value boxes are over lapping, and I can't update the value. When I select other coils they may be just fine.

The coil is not mapped to any physical I/O and there is nothing that I see that could be affecting it.

I have tried clearing the PLC memory, cycling the power, and reloading the program.

I have reinstalled DirectSoft. I have also tried installing it on a different PC just incase. I am running DirectSoft32 version 4, build 22.

I have updated the PLC firmware to the latest release.

Any ideas?
Help?
Please!

RDay said:
the "Current" and "New" value boxes are over lapping,

THAT part sounds like a bug to me. I see you posted this question at the A-D forum, with no answer. Support in that forum has been going downhill lately. This may require a phone call to A-D tech support to wake them up.

I just went online with a DL06 and was able to toggle C100 with no problems. I use the "Change Value" dialog quite often but have never seen anything like you describe.

I'm running DS4.0 Build 18 on Win98SE. There may be a problem with the new build?

I hope you can get this resolved!

beerchug

-Eric

Me too.

When this happens I can still toggle those bits if I do it in a "Data View" so it's not that big of a deal. But I like to watch the program ladder while I do stuff like this and having to switch back and forth can be a pian. Oh well. :confused:

Thanks Eric

Just to let everyone know.

OK.

I sent my program to Mike Stillwell at Host Engineering and they found the problem. Here is the email I got from Mike.
The thing that's causing the problem for DirectSOFT is that there's a space at the end of the nickname for C100. There's a bug in DirectSOFT that we'll correct to handle this. But we still need to fix your project. If you'll bring up the C100 in the Element Browser, you can delete the extra space. You can't use the Documentation Editor, you must use the Element browser. The developer looking at this said that leading spaces or trailing spaces will cause this problem, so if you have other elements that are displaying improperly, use the Element Browser to delete any additional space characters before or after the text.
I made the changes and everthing looks OK now. So lets all give the guys at Host and big hand. beerchug

RDay,

Just curious?

When you open a data view window just tile the screen horizantal or vertical, and you can still see the ladder and data view at the same time.

I am sure you know this but I find it very easy to do it this way.
Just wondering if you ever tried it and what you thought of it?

John

Yes I have done it like that before. It has just always seemed simpler to force bits by using the change value box. I guess old habits and all.

CHANGE BAD mddr