Character array conversion to string tag, PB32 to FTViewME

bigbuckaroo

I used the FT View ME conversion tool on an existing PanelView standard program I had. The conversion worked and no errors were generated. In a previous thread: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=75566 I worked on communicating from the new PV+ to the 5/04 using DH+. That is all working fine. The original PanelBuilder project used character arrays and pointed to N file to display information like product names. Not familar with these at all so this is where I am looking for some help. During the conversion to PV+ it changed all of those tags to STRING type. When I hook up the PV+ to my DH+ network all the former character array tags in PB32 project that were converted to string tags now display a decimal number I am assuming corrosponds to what N address the character array pointed to. is there a way to manipulate that data in FT View ME to read the string representation? Or would I have to do something similar to this thread: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=75128 and do the conversion via the Controllogix program? Anyone have experience converting PB32 character arrays to FT View ME string tags? Thanks in advance.

I would dump the array and use a multistate indicator targeting the N file. You can make a long list in there and its easy to point to a N target. Just copy the strings you have into the multistate. A bit tedious but very dependable. If you have to select from this list you can use a control list box.

Thread bump...

I too have just run into an old PB32 app that I was to convert to FTView ME through the conversion utility (normally we would re-write something like this from scratch and have access to the PLC program as needed). The original OEM used plenty of Bit & Char Arrays. The roadblock is we are not allowed to touch the CompactLogix program. The HMI is required to look and operate identical to the original. Also plenty of screens that are secured within the app as well.

Searched the RA KB and the internet, as well as this forum.

Long story short...does anyone have an update or info on how to use the Char Arrays which are converted to Strings in FTView ME? At least I know how to deal with the Bit Arrays.

Thanks

In the PLC create "A" - Ascii Data Type. Move the N file into the A. Then Use A in the HMI.

See Tech Note 30967 - It is for PLC, but I think SLC will work as well.

James

Thanks James.

That solution did not work with the CompactLogix but I did find some info in the on-line help that I tried and it appears to be working correctly.

{[shortcut]tag[0],sc44} is the format (where 44 is the length, and [0] is where the contiguous bytes start).

*This only seems to work with the direct tag addressing.