Studio5k backwards compatible?

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all. Is Studio5K backwards compatible? AB gave me a 30 free trial for 30 days. I have a contrologix that is running v.21 however, when I tried to download it it said it was no longer available, since it is such an old iteration. The version they gave me was v.31. Will I still be able to upload from the CPU or am I going to be sorely disappointed? Thank you

If they gave you a serial number for the trial, you should be able to download different versions from their website, but you need to have installed the correct version to match the PLC you are looking at.

You will need the software to match the processor firmware, so for a processor with version 21 you will need version 21 software, it is downloadable if you have an in support contract.

Alan

To add a little clarity, No there is no such thing as backwards compatibility with RSLogix5000/LogixDesigner. As others said, you must install v21. You must install every major version of software for every major of firmware you want to connect to. And you'd be doing yourself a favor to install in order of oldest to newest.

To add a little clarity, No there is no such thing as backwards compatibility with RSLogix5000/LogixDesigner. As others said, you must install v21. You must install every major version of software for every major of firmware you want to connect to. And you'd be doing yourself a favor to install in order of oldest to newest.

I did just that. Tried to go online via USB however, the "upload" button stays grayed out, even when I drill down to the processor. Linx sees the processor, but it won't allow me to upload. Could this be because I am using a free trial version of software?

That wouldn't be because of the free-trial version.

When you start Studio5K on the splash screen does it show v21 on the bottom with the other version(s)?

My thought is the v21 CPU is not being recognized as a supported version

EDIT: After you installed v21 did you do the MicroSlowest suggested "reboot the PC" that needs done every time you sneeze?

Last edited:

+1

Which is a total PITA if you need to have many of the versions installed - see the pics.

Every now and again I will need at least one of these to open a clients file ....

2020-11-24_224520.jpg 2020-11-24_224436.jpg

Just to add to confusion.
We bought Studio 5000 ver 32.
Had a customer call up who had an older machine which had ver 16 (RSLogix5000).
Tried to download that version and always grayed out.
Talking to tech support I needed to download ver 26, then activate ver 26 with my license. This then allows you to download older and newer versions.
Working OK for me so far and I've had to download 5 different versions since then.

Just to add to confusion.
We bought Studio 5000 ver 32.
Had a customer call up who had an older machine which had ver 16 (RSLogix5000).

I have a V13... and need a 32 bit OS to be able to see the program. It's amazing how they can't (or just don't care) create backward compatibility when other brands have it out of the box.