Anyone got any experience with Label Checkers

Hi

We are looking to implement some label checkers on some production lines. We want to check bar codes and best before dates.

Just looking to tap into some experience of people who have already done this.

Any advice from your learnings would be great.

Thanks

We are doing that here.

Both Cognex and Keyence offer good barcode and datamatrix code readers. Cognex we trialed scanning bins driving by on a forklift at close to normal speed and could read successfully. It was pulling 1 barcode off a label that has multiple barcodes on it and picked the correct one running a script inside the scanner. I think that was with a Dataman 370. We use the 370 to read dotpeened codes scribed into a steel part that is ecoated with black paint. They do very well once set up correctly. We use the DM260 to read data matrix codes printed black on white labels. They work well unless its on a curved surface.

We use Keyence SR 2000 to read dotmatrix codes (holes drilled into a steel plate on our paintline for batch control) it works well. Cognex had issues needing external lighting during trial - but we ended up adding extrnal lighting anyway.

Consistent lighting is your friend when planning to install these.

All of these interface to Allen bradley or omron PLC's via ethernet

Consistent lighting is your friend when planning to install these.

The quality and consistency of lighting is more important than the brand of scanner. Keyence and Cognex both offer excellent products.

Beyond that, if the barcode data needs to be analyzed as a character string, you need to make sure to choose a PLC with good string handling capability. If all you need to do is convert the barcode character string to an integer, PLC choice is less of a factor.

Some more information on your setup would help, but Cognex is a company you may want to check on

Cardboard boxes moving down a conveyor. The boxes are exposed to the factory lighting. Some natural light during the day and artificial during the evening.

The boxes have a barcode and and Best before date. We want to scan each box and make sure that the date and barcode match the batch number.

The scanners will interface to a siemens PLC. S7-300 for the initial line tests.

Not sure of the speed of the boxes of hand but its not very fast.

One thing I think could be an issue is the barcodes are often in different positions for different products so would need something that can provide a decent field of view.

Keyence and Cognex both offer excellent products.

Here in the states I had Keyence come out and give a demo before we purchased and it worked great so we bought several of them, when they first came out they would give you one for free if you took the sales pitch class, they are still using them today and that was 15ish years ago

I would speak to a vendor and get them to do a survey of what your trying to do and get them to recommend products. You may need to wait for availability of the engineer for a visit. Alternatively you could send pictures and lumens readings as a kick off

I also recommend cognex but you should seek out best for your needs

We’ve done many bar code / robot projects over the years.

Bread and butter option is the Cognex Dataman 260, cheap enough, but decent at the same time.

Lighting is never a concern, but getting the right lense for your field of view is.

Set up is very easy, as is reading the result in a plc, you get it in an array of SINTS so converting / comparing is no problem especially if you bpm is low.

From set up to production would be within a day if your just checking bar codes and a simple reject, they are that easy.