1769-L33ER to ControlLogix not connecting

hitthis911

I have a L33ER that I am having issues connecting to in the I/O Configuation of a 1756-L83E. I have established a connection from the I/O Configuration in the L33ER to the L83's ENBT but on the L83 the L33 status is cycling between "Faulted" "Standby" "Shutting Down" and "Waiting". The "Electronic Keying" is set to disable and will not allow me to change it, Why? Could this be part of my issue?

Last edited:
Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

What exactly are you trying to do with the connection between these controllers ?

Presumably you're setting them up to exchange produced/consumed tags. When you do that, you configure the Connection type to "none", then set up the Consumed tags to point to the "remote" controller's placeholder in the I/O tree.

If you can clip some screenshots and attach them to your post as *.png or .bmp files, that's an excellent way to share details.

Yes, I'm using the connection for Produce and Consume. I set up the tags without the communication link could that be part of my issue?

OZ PLC.PNG OZ PLC2.PNG

I have a L33ER that I am having issues connecting to in the I/O Configuation of a 1756-L83E. I have established a connection from the I/O Configuration in the L33ER to the L83's ENBT but on the L83 the L33 status is cycling between "Faulted" "Standby" "Shutting Down" and "Waiting". The "Electronic Keying" is set to disable and will not allow me to change it, Why? Could this be part of my issue?

I don't believe you can change the 'electronic keying' while online.
I've had a similar issue and I had to delete the module and re-add it.

Thanks very much for those screenshots. It's especially valuable to see that you're using an older 1756-ENBT in the chassis with the 1756-L83E to connect to this CompactLogix.

The error code / message in the second screenshot is critical:

16#0117 Connection Request Error: Invalid Connection Point

The most common reason ( by far !) for that code in this context is that the name of the Produced tag is mis-spelled in the Consuming controller. The tag is the "connection point".

Double, triple, quadruple-check the spelling of the tag that you're consuming, and be sure the data types and sizes are absolutely identical.

@emjr96, I removed the module from the I/O Communications tree, completed a download then used the Discover Module, found my controller then connected with no issues. I think the issue was due to adding the controler offline as well adding the Produce and Consume tags before completing the download, order of operations must have caused the issue.

Thanks for all the help y'all

Double, triple, quadruple-check the spelling of the tag that you're consuming...
And if you've been onsite for 15 hours now, and coming up on 100 hours for the week, and haven't had a coffee in a while, maybe even quintuple check that some total moron hasn't got it spelled "CommsOut_MySystem" at one end, and Comms_Out_MySystem" at the other.

You know. Hypothetically, of course. I'm not a moron. Not today, at least.