Digital value to engineering units...where should I do the conversion?

Duty or what we would call tax on gas/petrol varies widely by state. As a Republic, each state sets its own rate.

Is that why you are called the United States of America ?

I don't want to be offensive at all, but how can people consider themselves to belong to the same country when everything within that country can be so different ?

"As a Republic, each state sets its own rate."

So that means people can hop states (if they're close enough) to reduce their fill-up cost ? I wonder how many people do this several times a day .....

Is that why you are called the United States of America ?

I don't want to be offensive at all, but how can people consider themselves to belong to the same country when everything within that country can be so different ?

"As a Republic, each state sets its own rate."

So that means people can hop states (if they're close enough) to reduce their fill-up cost ? I wonder how many people do this several times a day .....

Yes! That is one of the best parts!
I live in Washington state across the river from Portland Oregon. In Washington state we have a sales tax and no income tax. The sales tax is high about about 8.4%. In Oregon they have an income tax but no sales tax.

While it is not strictly legal, I don't know of anybody that has been caught driving from Washington to Oregon to buy stuff sales tax free and go back to Washington. This could potentially save a lot of money on big purchases but this must be weighed against the cost of driving there in time and gas ( petrol ).

Also, Delta Computer Systems was started in Oregon but the business and personal income taxes were oppressive so we moved a few miles across the river into Washington. This has saved us a lot of money over the years.

At this time companies and people are leaving commiefornia due to their state despot's edicts, high taxes and regulations. They are moving to freer states. They are voting with their feet.
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-08-24/skelton-california-millionaires-tax-coronavirus
New York City is similar. That is why Trump moved from NYC to Florida.

At least we get to vote for the least stupid person running for office in our states.

Those of you in England are just plain stuck unless Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland are better. I know that Scotland is somewhat autonomous from England. Is there a difference between the four parts of the UK?

Try Australia, 10% sales tax, income tax from 19% + health tax 2% =21% > $18K up to an easy 45%+2 =47% = 47 cent in every dollar you earn >$180K goes to the govt, plus 10% of nearly everything you buy. What you pay 8.25% on what you buy and that's it!!!!! ya got to be kidding me!!
Then of course we have all the state taxes/council rates/taxes for being lucky enough to own a property.

Last edited: