Compact Logix Firmware Error

Not a technical view - but the serial firmware upgrade takes SOOOOO LONG that too much opportunity for errors creeps in. After the first couple we only to Ethernet upgrades now. I still use a cross-over or just a hub while doing this, removing anything else that may be on the network.

1769-l24er-qbfc1b

Just had same problem "Failed to begin update on the target device. The target device is not in the proper mode to accept an update" when trying to install Firmware v20.013.81 This is a new start up, tried VIA usb and Ethernet both and got same error. Problem was I was in old school mode drilling down through the ip address to the back plane and then selecting the processor. What I should have done was single click select the IP address and start the update (don't drill down). Also important to note I assigned an IP address via bootp and did not leave the bootp server running so when processor rebooted the update timed out. :doh:Tried again leaving the bootp server running and all was good.
Good luck!

Basically confirming "Carnivore_Medic". I would dig down in the tree to the processor and would receive "Failed to begin update on the target device. The target device is not in the proper mode to accept an update". As soon as I found and read his reply, I clicked only on the first branch under "USB" and the flash worked. Which now when I step back and look at it, it does seem rather obvious :/

This was for an L-73, flashing to v21 through usb.

Just had same problem "Failed to begin update on the target device. The target device is not in the proper mode to accept an update" when trying to install Firmware v20.013.81 This is a new start up, tried VIA usb and Ethernet both and got same error. Problem was I was in old school mode drilling down through the ip address to the back plane and then selecting the processor. What I should have done was single click select the IP address and start the update (don't drill down). Also important to note I assigned an IP address via bootp and did not leave the bootp server running so when processor rebooted the update timed out. :doh:Tried again leaving the bootp server running and all was good.
Good luck!

I found this was the solution

Solution

Good luck!

You rock. This worked for me although it should work either way ;)
:site:

Regards,

I've had the same error updating two L32E's from 20.13 to 20.18. with a laptop using a local ethernet connection. I just clicked through the error, and even though ControlFlash said the update failed, the PLC's were actually updated. Interestlingly, I had one L32E on 20.12 and didn't get any errors when updating the same way.