Motor Star/Triangle Start

It is more widespread than only latin languages. I am dutch, we also refer to this as start/triangle in our native speak.

I am trying to figure out how Star got into this conversation. Based on nameplate data, that is a motor that can be run at 2 different voltages, but only in Delta. A picture of the nameplate would help, because there is a lot of confusion here about what this motor actually is.

I am trying to figure, how you want to take Star out of the equation, what pray tell is such a motor you describe.

I can't see any confusion, it is surely a star /delta motor.

I am trying to figure, how you want to take Star out of the equation, what pray tell is such a motor you describe.

I can't see any confusion, it is surely a star /delta motor.

I can only go on the information provided:

"The nameplate of the motor is 380/660 delta/triangle 15.1/8.7A"

"the nameplate doesnt show any 220V"

We have determined through other posts that delta=triangle. Is this a 9-lead motor? Maybe. I don't know.

I can only go on the information provided:

I wasn't quoting you. :ROFLMAO:

Yes, delta is triangle i.e delta always uses a triangle symbol, same as Y for star

Only logical explanation, is its a standard 3 phase motor which would connect to 380v in a delta configuration and 660 v in a star formation.

something like so:

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
The point is that we don't what we are dealing with. The OP did not give use nameplate data(or data that makes sense).

The point is that we don't what we are dealing with. The OP did not give use nameplate data(or data that makes sense).

We may not categorically know, 100%, but the point is although the OP did not express it very clearly, and probably left some information out.

The facts remain, that it is definitely a motor that can be connected to a 380 Volt supply, it can also be definitely connected to a 660v supply. It takes 15.1 amps connected to the former and 8.7A connected to the latter.
This has every characteristic of a very standard three phase motor capable of being connected in either star or delta, depending on supply voltage.

All I am saying is the above motor is a common standard motor, whereas the one you describe looking at the same info is:

I am trying to figure out how Star got into this conversation. Based on nameplate data, that is a motor that can be run at 2 different voltages, but only in Delta.

This a motor, I have never heard of or seen anywhere in the world. Not saying it doesn't exist or that you haven't seen one, but for sure in this neck of the woods at least one is very likely, and one is rarer than rocking horses manure.

Pablox- No one, except the OP, is saying that motor exists. He clearly stated both voltages in a delta configuration. Given the 1.7 voltage ratio, it is probably a 12-lead motor.

The OP has some confusion with star/triangles/delta symbols, but some people have conjured up some amazing machines.

I believe the Op has a normal standard motor, I also believe it most certainly is not a 12 lead motor, but a standard 6 lead motor.

I guess we will have to wait for the OP to come back and clear it up for us.

I would guess and agree that it is a standard motor, running at 380v in delta connection, or if you have a 660v TX you can connect the motor in star. This is used in heavy industry to lower the size of motor conductors/ volt drop. The advance of the 660v (400/690V in Aust) is that nearly all low voltage switch gear and PVC/PVC cables can handle 690v (i.e.contactors/overloads). In Underground mining we tend to go for 1000v, but switch gear is more expensive but the cabling is rated for 1000v.
This motor would also be capable of being used for star/delta starting at 380v, but can only be DOL (direct on line) started with star connection at 660v.
But it is all conjecture as we haven't seen the name plate.

In the US there are usually motors on which the windings can be connected in pairs in parallel or in series and the voltages at which they can operate have a factor of 2 between them.

However in Europe I have never seen that type of connection and only star/delta connection with a factor of 1.73 is usually supported

I wasn't quoting you. :ROFLMAO:

Yes, delta is triangle i.e delta always uses a triangle symbol, same as Y for star

Only logical explanation, is its a standard 3 phase motor which would connect to 380v in a delta configuration and 660 v in a star formation.

something like so:

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks for all the answers!

Yep, exactly the plate of the motor is like the one on this picture,